App for tracking runs

The app WorkOutDoors has customizable alerts for min and max heart rate and many other metrics. I never hear anyone mention it so it can’t be well known but it is a phenomenal app that has a lot of functionality I have not seen in any other watchOS app. The dev is also quite responsive.

1 Like

So what are folks using these days to track their runs? I’m still a Runkeeper kind of guy. It I don’t have many friends on it who have tracked a run in years.

I am wondering what is the most popular running app out there for the common folks?

I like Strava myself. Nice, clean app that I don’t mind paying for to get more features/data. It can accept almost any source for info, too.

1 Like

I’m using the Nike Run Club app. It’s just fine for my needs (now that guided runs can be run directly from the watch, I might try that out).

That said, I run for fun and fitness — I’m not a “serious” runner. Basic data about time, pace, distance, etc. is all I really need.

1 Like

I’m still with Garmin, since I still use a garmin watch =)

But with the Apple Watch 6 on it’s way I’ll try to mix and match with it and Nike Run Club and Runkeeper apps :smiley:

I just use the Workouts app on my Apple Watch

1 Like

Not much social is it though?

I’m such a poor runner that suits me!!

1 Like

Nike doesn’t offer Routes right?

I just imported all my routes into Strava from Runkeeper. More modern interface and more users that I’m acquainted with use it actively than Runkeeper

I either use Strava, or a little app called Intervals Pro. I also look at my run data with an app called Tempo.

1 Like

I assume you mean you can’t select a route in the app and choose that route for your run. If so, that’s correct.

It does accurately record your route when you run, though.

1 Like

Does it have a social aspect?

It does, but I never use it.

@HobbyCollector

Some questions on Strava:

1. should I use the Apple Watch app or iPhone app when running?

I’m new to Strava, having used RunKeeper before.

On RunKeeper, I would bring my iPhone and Apple Watch (non-cellular) with me on runs. Then I would start the run on the RunKeeper app for iPhone and the RunKeeper app for Apple Watch would then be activated as well and I could see and get feedback by glancing on the Apple Watch.

I just completed my first 16 K run at a 4:59 pace, just saying, on Strava. But I had turned on both the Strava iPhone app and the Apple Watch app. I like being able to glance at the watch, but I noticed that Strava doesn’t activate the App,e Watch app when starting a run on the iPhone.

But I really do prefer the Apple Watch app as I can also do manual pauses quickly on the watch.

Anyway, I got two quite different results from using the Strava app for iPhone and the Apple Watch app.

So what I’m asking is, is there a way to activate run on the Strava app for iPhone and have it display on the Apple Watch or do I have to choose which device to use throughout the run?

If yes, which device is most accurate to use on a run and considered the best way?

1. Does Strava for iOS automatically pull in weight information from FitBit (if connected) and the Apple Health app on iOS and then update one’s profile with the correct weight measurements?

2. What is Segment within Strava? I don’t quite understand it.

Apologies it took me so long to respond!

When running with the Apple Watch, I use the built-in Apple workout app. I find that Strava can pull in all the relevant data needed. That way, I’m not worrying about switching between apps, figuring out what I have started/haven’t started, etc. I tried running with the Strava app, but I just find the native Apple app is easier and works just fine.

I’m honestly not sure on this. I just entire my weight manually in my calorie tracking app. If it doesn’t sync across systems, I just update it where I need to.

I haven’t spent much time in the Segment area of Strava, but they are essentially portions of commonly-used tracks/trails/etc where you can compare your performance against others. It used to be where you compete on time, for instance, to see the leaderboard. However, I believe they recently switched it to the leaderboard focusing on how many times you have done the segment (I think you can still compare your performance, though), to encourage people to get out more often vs just running faster on that one part, if that makes sense.

——
I really like their community and where they are taking the app/service. They always seem to be improving!

2 Likes

Great, I’ll try that next time because I have had some discrepancies using Strava. I went on a run yesterday tacking it with Strava on my Apple Watch and got difference pace and time between Strava and the Apple Fitness app, as you can see here

The moving time in the Strava app and the time spent overall in the Apple Fitness app don’t correspond, neither does the Avg Pace at 4:41 /km in the Strava app and the 5:07 /km in the Apple Fitness app.

I used the Apple Watch on Strava to pause my run, which I do when I need to pass traffic or other stuff. I do that 4-5 times during a run, it might explain the time… But have you had issues with this?

So the Strava app will just pull from the Apple Fitness app automatically when I complete my run and sync it with the Strava app with a map and everything?

———-

I have set up a IFTTT between my FitBit Aria scale and Strava. It seems to work.

1 Like

Here some details on Strava and Apple Watch

1 Like

Just discovered this app RunGap https://apps.apple.com/dk/app/rungap-workout-data-manager/id534460198?l=da

It pulls for example from Apple Health shares to a range of 3rd party fitness apps like Runkeeper, Strava and many others. Works really well

2 Likes