App Shortcut on macOS Newb seeking help!

Hi gang, I’m exploring App Shortcuts in macOS via the Keyboard setting in preferences. I get the concept of setting up an app shortcut and can get them to work. But for some reason, I’m having trouble getting this one to work: In Safari, I want to set a keyboard shortcut to share the webpage I’m on. In the menu, this would be File > Share > Messages. So in the Menu Title I would type: File->Share->Messages. For some reason, it won’t work. I’ll even see the keyboard shortcut I record next to the menu setting, but it won’t run. Any suggestions? macOS 12.6 14" MBP 2021

What keyboard shortcut did you sign to this menu item? My guess is that it’s already signed in another app out the system and one it the other is “capturing” it first

1 Like

You can use shortcut detective to see what app is picking up the shortcut.

1 Like

Initially I used ⌃⌘M as I suspected this might be the case. I then set it to ⇧⌃⌥⌘0 with no success. I then assigned this to a few other menu options and they all worked. I wonder if something is broken between File and Share? Sorry, I don’t know the technical terms for theses nested menu options/choices.

I wonder if this is one of those “special case” menus, because you will note the Share menu has app icons on it, unlike all the other menus.

A similar problem occurs with Finder Tags, because it’s a custom menu to assign them. In this case, it’s simply not possible.

1 Like

Bummer. But thanks for taking the time to reply. You’re right, there are icons in the menu. Didn’t know that there were some limitations with assigning the app shortcuts. I’m learning little by little :sweat_smile: Thanks!