Apple being forced to go USB on iPhones. Is it end of Lightning Port?

Oh thanks! I didn’t notice that.

Because USB-C is an open standard while lightning requires royalties to Apple.

3 Likes

USB-C is a much more versatile port.

1 Like

So basically kill innovation. :slight_smile:

How is it “killing innovation” when it’s inherently a better port? It’s a massive benefit for consumers.

If anything, Apple hasn’t “innovated” with the port on the iPhone since the iPhone 5.

Right now, USB-C is probably the best port out there for these sorts of applications. Will that be true 5 years from now?

3 Likes

We don’t know what Apple had in their works regarding Lightning Port’s future. Agreed that USB-C is far superior to it now. My comment about innovation was in general and not just related to Apple. If companies are forced to use one over the other, where is the scope for innovation?

1 Like

It’s constantly getting better and better (and has been since its debut in August 2014).

We have thunderbolt 3 and 4 using the USB-C connector. TB4 does 40 Gb/s so that’ll hold us until TB5 comes out, which may well use the USB-C connector too.

I think the is addresses @sangadi concern about innovation too.

In response to the query above:

• USB-C doesn’t have exposed contacts.
  • bandwidth of lightning is not specified by Apple. How do you design for that? ( Pay to join their super secret mfi program. )
  • Lightning seems to be limited to USB3 speeds, 10Gb/s
  • Apple’s lightning cables support USB-2 speeds
  • USB-C seems to support higher charging current (again, Apple doesn’t publish specs)
I should have done this as a top 10 (or 5).

Number one reason ISB-C is better: Apple ditched MagSafe and uses it on their new laptops. That’s a pretty good (if unintended) endorsement.

More info on lightning:
https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Lightning_Connector

I can guarantee you they had nothing planned. It has remained unchanged since its first appearance in the iPhone 5 from late 2012.

What if somebody built a better cable with a connector half the size? The EU wouldn’t allow it, as they’re legislatively mandating USB-C.

That means the cable I’m talking about is less likely to ever be invented in the first place.

4 Likes

Has anybody ever complained about the size of the USB-C port?

Well you have more inside knowledge than me I guess. I rest my case.

It does impose some constraints on how thin you can make a device (particularly when the port extends under the screen).

1 Like

The biggest factor is the real estate occupied by a hardware port on a device. Smaller the port size smaller the form factor of the device. It also allows for other hardware and features to be incorporated in that space saved.

I guess it isn’t a coincidence that something as major as the lightning port being changed wouldn’t be leaked by an insider? During iPhone season, it seems to always happen for other changes…

I never complained about RS-232 or DB-9 in their day either….doesn’t mean better options weren’t possible in the future. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s likely, but I hope not. Portless is a deal breaker for me.

I wonder - would portless be legal under the new EU regs?

Actually going by this EU legislative order going wireless should not be allowed. How can a USB charger charge a portless iPhone. Eventually the end user in EU will have to carry two cables or charging devices right. So I wonder what is the real rationale here. Is it punishing Apple?