Apple being forced to go USB on iPhones. Is it end of Lightning Port?

Here’s a video that’s relevant to this discussion. :slight_smile:

One of the reasons for the law is to get rid of electronic waste and is not allowing adapters in the box.

Don’t they already have multiple SKU’s for different telephony bands?

They would (then) only have to change/double the one sold in Europe.

Yep. There are 5 regional model numbers for the iPhone 13 and 13 Pro according to Apple support.

Just put pins on the back of the iPhone! They already have the magnets to orient wireless chargers properly!

That’s interesting. The question, of course, is whether they’re actually manufacturing different hardware, or if the multiple SKUs have more to do with software.

I would strongly suspect that in the case of something significant like a hardware port, the main iPhone design would shift in response to EU regulations - unless some other country did something bizarre like outright ban USB-C ports, and they were forced to obey competing laws. :slight_smile:

The requirement for USB C stops any company putting a better port in their devices.

If the EU had done this 10 years ago, every phone would have MicroUSB. Still

2 Likes

The regulations don’t prohibit multiple ports…

It’s just a shame that some illiterate politicians dictate the technology. If it’s environmental conscience then one day we will see in future EU allowing people ONLY to upgrade ONCE every 4 years.

1 Like

What a load of old rubbish, there are as many poor quality lightning cables as USB C.

Oh oh oh boy. Peace. Have you heard of iPhones exploding too like Samsung phones. I did not read through all old rubbish documents.

You see, that would be a restriction on people’s rights and freedoms and the EU doesn’t do that.

Without getting too political, I would submit that all governments restrict peoples’ rights and freedoms. This is just the nature of government. Typically this is based on a doctrine along the lines of “compelling government interest”, and involves determining how the best interests of an individual compare to the best interests of society as a whole. Frequently those are the same thing, but not always.

So the issue in my mind wouldn’t be whether the EU could / would do it, but rather a matter of what would be required for them to do it.

1 Like

Only US-model iPhone 12s have the special mmWave antenna window and radios embedded.

1 Like

And I believe only phones for mainland China have dual physical SIM slots.

1 Like

One note: this is a * proposed * law, it still has to go through the entire legislative process.
Also this has been in the works since 2009 and so far big-tech has not been able to influence the process other than delay it.

If you look at the lineup of Apple today it will affect the current devices, but my guess is the Apple roadmap already has USB-C only + cordless written all over it.

Current devices: mass market are lightning, pro devices are USB-C

Future devices will probably be mass market USB-C and pro devices wireless fast charging.

Problem is I’m not sure magsafe would even be allowed anymore, since all devices need to have a USB port under the proposal…

Guess we’ll see in 2025 or so, if we even have smart phones then, might be we all carry a chip at that point, ypu never know…

I agree but wonder why lightning is still around? A 1TB iPhone hobbled with a 480 Mbps lightning port doesn’t make sense to me.

Does not Apple make money over every third party lightning accessory, selling them the connector?

An adapter can’t give a lightning port on an iPhone 13 the 10 gigabits per second speed of the usb-c port on my 2020 iPad Pro.

Copying all those cinematic mode movies from the iPhone 13 is going to be painfully slow.

I think it’s still there in the iPhone and low end iPad to have a separate pro - mass market segmentation in the product line at this point, some technical design issues with iPhones for this and maybe next year (already too far in production and planning) and probably still contracts with suppliers to honor :slight_smile: