Apple Car Chief Joins Ford

I would like to see Apple release their own vehicle at some point. Tesla has very little competition.

At least we have this to be (somewhat) excited about! :sunglasses:

Tesla has plenty of competition, yes, most are behind but they’re catching up fast.

The Jaguar iPace is a better car to drive than the Tesla Model S or the Tesla Model 3.

The difference is that those competitors are building cars, Tesla is building a computer to be a car. I worry that they’ll soon take all of the fun out of it.

1 Like

Now, you wouldn’t be just a littled biased would you? :rofl: Said in complete jest!

1 Like

Nope, I had a Model 3 for a year and loved it, but after a test drive, the Jag was the best.

I suspected as much but I couldn’t help but rib you a bit seeing the Union Jack. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll add that the Jag looks a lot better!!

1 Like

Jaguar iPace is $175,000 in Aus, think I had better pass

only about ÂŁ70k in the UK. about the same as the Model S

We can only hope that those competitors actually start producing production units at some point…

Aren’t the vehicles mentioned above all in production?

1 Like

I think you need to look what’s actually on sale out there. plenty of car companies are producing electric only vehicles at all sorts of price points. Volvo (both Volvo and Polestar), VW, Audi, Nissan, Porsche, Renault, Kia, Vauxhall/Opal, Fiat, Jaguar, Ford, Hyundai, MG, Citroen, Peugeot, BMW, Skoda.

2 years ago, choice was really limited, but now there are so many choices out there to meet so many different needs from people. I hope that purchase prices come down, but the cost to run an EV is so low compared to a gas car that over it’s lifetime you save significant amounts of money, unless you’re exceptionally low mileage.

The general press and those who haven’t done the research fixate on Tesla because it was the first real mover, and it is an aspirational brand, but the market is so much bigger, especially for those who can’t afford Tesla or don’t need a 250 mile range.

1 Like

Rivian just started production I believe.

Just to re-start this thread, I’ve just ordered a Model 3 after this happened…

I was in the white car and, if there had been no traffic light, I think I’d be playing a harp right now!

The Tesla arrives in January so I’m binge watching videos. I looked at so many other options (a bit limited here in Australia) but it still seems to be the best value.

Also, I have heard Apple is making a self driving car, so that’s interesting. Of course, it will have to be self driving as it won’t have Windows! (sorry, I’ll see myself out!)

4 Likes

I’m glad to see the increasing number of EV options out there. One thing I’d like to see is a more cars that do not rely on a single touch screen for controls. I want my buttons - oh jeez, I sound like Steve Ballmer but in a car, I want tactile controls I can touch without looking so I can keep my eye on the road - besides I’m starting to need glasses for reading but not for distance - I can’t stare at a screen looking for the option I want at 70 mph.

1 Like

Jaguar is no longer a UK firm. It is owned via a long chain of companies by TATA an Indian company.

Well, that’s sad! After graduating from college, I almost bought this exact car. It was a riot to test drive!

1 Like

In my younger days my family doctor drove a red MGB, frequently while wearing a tweed flat cap. “Dr. Gregory House” used to remind me of him. :grinning:

He was a great doctor.

1 Like