Apple Fitness +

Yeah. That’s what’s confusing.

I had to have a phone call with Apple who gave me a code to redeem in the App Store to get 3 months free. Sorted now though.

Thanks, I hadn’t updated the watch. That fixed it!

I caved and bought the AppleTV today. it’s a questionable move on Apple’s part to limit the airplay like this. I don’t know who can workout looking at an iPhone or iPad screen (unless you are rowing or on a stationary bike where all you need to see is when to start and stop). I guess using Fitness to shovel out redundant pucks was their plan all along. This may be the first time I felt like Apple “got me”.

@DannyR Did you plug the HDMI into a Mac or into a spare monitor or a TV?

1 Like

I plugged the iPad directly to my TV via hdmi. Works great

3 Likes

I’m really liking Fitness+. I’ve done HIIT, yoga, core, strength, and dance workouts (no access to a treadmill, stationary bike, or rowing machine). Of these, yoga is actually my favorite, which is not what I would have predicted. My exercise routine had stagnated a bit since March. In particular I haven’t been doing much that really gets my heart rate up (mostly been taking walks and lifting weights). The HIIT workouts in Fitness+ can definitely fix that problem and I think the other options will help add some variety to my exercise routine.

6 Likes

I suspect that Apple didn’t consider that use case. I hope this comes soon for those it’s useful for.

1 Like

I spoke to Apple support and they gave me a. Code to redeem 3 months free, and then for some reason Apple also separately assigned me another 3 months so I have free until June.

I suspect it’s an error and Apple are automatically retrospectively applying the 3 months to those who qualify.

I’m interested in good reviews of Fitness+. If you’ve encountered one you thought was useful, please post a link.

I just listened to Jason Snell’s review on the Upgrade podcast and found it informative.

1 Like

One caveat: I tried doing the yoga using my Apple TV on the big screen, and it was pointless. The position of a television relative to all the positions you put yourself in make it nigh impossible to understand what positions the instructor wants you in. I think this may improve if you just put the iPad in front of you on the floor, but I haven’t tried yet. It’s a logistical thing that I didn’t think of. The Apple TV is a fantastic way to get a big screen experience, but it doesn’t work for every type of workout.

2 Likes

Here’s some Fitness+ discussion on Accidental Tech Podcast that I found helpful.

Exactly the kind of information I’m looking for. Thanks.

Much like @anon20961960 I’ve done all my yoga workouts on my TV without any real issues. As in his case, my TV is on a fairly low stand (about 18”).

I’d say that it’s only one or two steps above “minimum viable product” features wise, but it is (as one would expect from Apple) impeccably produced. I’m hoping that Apple views this as a staring point and looking forward to seeing how it evolves.

I imagine it’d improve as I got better. I’m a total N00b with Yoga, so I really don’t know the positions by name. If I get more into it, I’m sure I’ll be able to follow better. It’s just that if Apple wants to lure beginners, this may not be the best way. Maybe they should add an intro course where the most common poses are outlined in minute detail as kind of a prerequisite for the beginner course. :slight_smile:

So what are everyone’s thoughts on this? Worth the (seemingly very high) price tag given the viable, often free (YouTube) alternatives?

Anyone who already have Apple One Premier the marginal cost is $0.

That said, I’m definitely getting more than $9.99 a month of use out of it so far.

Has anyone found a way to use Finess + without an Apple Watch?

My Daughter and I have AWs, but my Wife and other daughter don’t.

I find myself wishing I could disable certain workout types in Settings. It’s one thing for it to suggest I try yoga next; quite another for it to suggest I try a workout requiring a very expensive piece of equipment I don’t own, like a rower. :blush:

It feels to me like the big tipping points are Apple Music and whether or not you have a Family iCloud account… If you want Apple Music as a family and have pretty much any paid iCloud, Apple One Premier is almost a no-brainer. There’s going to be something in there to justify the extra $10 or so per month.