Apple going to ARM for macs... nice?

I’m very confused right now.

Really excited that Apple is making the change to ARM. But…

I’ve just bought a macbook air for my daughter who’s going to college soon, and planning to buy a macbook pro for my other one.

Should I, or should I wait?
If I buy her one, can she still use it in 3 years time?

Confusion all around

Nobody really knows but…
Often (?) when Apple introduces a new form factor, the 2nd revision is better than the 1st. Also, delays happen to introductions. So waiting can be often be more expensive (time wise) than it seems.

Also, there will be a software switch (of some sort), so bugs may occur. Compatibility issues may crop up too. So some wrinkles may cause friction for early adopters.

All that said, the current machines are best-of-breed Intel, and no slouches. Get enough memory, and they should be keepers for years. So I’d say, pretty safe to take plunge now.

(The interesting question may be what this means for the big ticket Mac Pro? Will that be revised, or will it stick to Intel for foreseeable future? Should be interesting to see.)

5 Likes

3 years - definitely.
6 years - probably.

The caveat would depend on her usage patterns - but for the stuff students typically do, I’d think it would be fine for a long while.

3 Likes

Catalina is compatible with 8-year old machines, so shouldn’t be a problem.

3 Likes

68k Macs ran and were supported for many years after the PowerPC transition, same for PowerPC Macs after the Intel transition.

2 Likes

There is no way Apple will curtail x86 support early. I wouldn’t worry about this choice at all until you have the option to buy either type from Apple.

2 Likes

Sorry to be a party pooper but what actual EVIDENCE is there that there’s an ARM transition?

None. But that would like saying there’s no evidence Apple is working on AR glasses. There’s no evidence indeed, but if we think beyond what we currently have, the play is obvious.

@MartinPacker No concrete evidence of course, but “strong rumours” that might indicate.
So nothing real, but slightly worrying nonetheless.

Reports from reporters and analysts with contacts both at Apple and the supply chain who have proven themselves repeatedly. Party’s still on.

2 Likes

It’s the old, “a stopped clock is right twice a day.”
One year, they will be right and can celebrate how they nailed it :slight_smile:

1 Like

With details like specific info about the number of ARM chips to be used there’s no way this is a random, hopeful, unsourced rumor. Gurman doesn’t have specific timing for next year but he doesn’t need it; he’s reporting news from sources inside Apple who have given him correct, exclusive info previously. Gruber, who has his own highly-placed ‘little birdies’ in Cupertino is discussing this not as a possibility or as plausible speculation, but is entirely accepting of the report, which in itself says something. (And Apple hasn’t been shy about telling Gruber if some reports - especially ones that could affect product sales - were nonsense, and let Gruber say so effectively on their behalf.)

For an initial release next year it makes perfect sense to give devs the necessary heads-up and tools at this year’s WWDC.

3 Likes

I wasn’t disagreeing with you.

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t think anyone’s disagreeing with anyone. So your ringside tickets are worthless. :slight_smile:

I’ll break with the concrete evidence and go with the evident evidence.

1. Apple has done it before (68K -> Intel). OS already proven to handle CPU change.
  2. Years worth of rumors.
  3. Years worth of Intel delays and performance decline.
  4. ARM still playing by Moore’s (CPU Speed) Law. Intel not so much.
  5. ARM under Apple control.
  6. ARM pricing controlled by Apple. Intel not so much.
  7. Regularly scheduled hardware upgrades possible w/own ARM CPU. Intel proven otherwise.
  8. Battery life ARM >> Intel.
  9. Apple leans into controlling products top to bottom, controlling their own destiny. ARM >> Intel for product control.
  10. Keep pricing same. Ship cheaper, equally or better performant CPU. Bottom line grows.

Inevitable.

2 Likes

On Moore’s Law I view ARM as “taking up the slack” rather than actually continuing it. The hardware progress in the industry is slow now - though I would agree moving 14nm -> 10nm -> 7nm has been especially hard for Intel.

(On the platform I know better - mainframe - progress has been made by extending the instruction set to add accelerators and by hardware architectural optimisations, despite clock speed staying in the 5.0 - 5.5 GHz range.)

But, the net of it is that if ARM can improve the power profile and continue to improve performance it’s very viable. And, besides, it’s a very regular instruction set to program too - which has advantages.

A person on another forum with professional design experience explained, in parts that were over my head, why emulation of the current Intel chipset would be an easier task than the last two emulations Apple created for its last two processor transitions. He also pointed out that Apple has never switched processors without offering a form of emulation in the new one, and so it seems clear that we’re going to see that as well this time. Devil’s in the details but for most people in most situations he thinks that, edge-cases aside, consumers should be able to run their Mac apps at launch without noticing noticeable speed slowdowns. We’ll have to see…

4 Likes

I can try to summarize my understanding of why PPC → intel was much more complex a transaltion layer:

Endianness, PPC used Bi-endianness and x86 (32bit and 64bit) uses just little-endianness

This describes how you store a number in memory/registers on the cpu.

PPC → Intel 32

PPC systems can store the number 3 either as
0000000000000011 or as 1100000000000000
(there might be more or less 0 on each end depending on the if the number is 16bit or 32bit or 64bit)

In PPC instruction sets (this depends on the cpu a little) you can work with both of these ways of writing a number.

However for Intel instructions only work on little-endian. you can convert big endian numbers to little endian but that takes an extra instruction and you can also convert back to big endian.

So you have a choice:

• simple emulator: if the PPC instruction expects Big endian, you create 3+ instructions: convert inputs into little-endian, run x86 little endian instruction, convert outputs back into big endian
  • complex emulator that tracks the endianness of data: if a PPC instruction expects Big endian, check if the current value of its inputs have already been converted to little, if not convert and update the tracking info, run x86 then label the outputs as already being little so later when you work on them you don’t need to convert…

This is all very complex logic and all has a large performance hit. It also gets compounded by the fact that to do these conversions you might need to copy values around and that will use up limited cpu register space.

x86-64 → Arm64

Both systems use little-endian so you can treat numbers exactly the same no need to add conversions or attempt to track things.

Number of cpu registers

Cpu registers are little locations within the cpu core were you can save data that you are working on very quickly compared to reading and writing all the way to system ram.

Every cpu architecture has a different number of cpu registers. When an application is compiled the compiler will look at the code and attempt to ensure numbers that are just used localing within a small portion of the code do not go to system ram but rather just get saved to a register to be used a few instructions later. If you need to go to system memory every time you use a number etc the system becomes very slow as it is just waiting for memory to response.

these are normally broken down into pointer registers and floating point (FP) registers.

FloatingPoint registers are used to save numbers you are working on, like if you are summing up an array of numbers your working sum will be saved into one of these FP regiersse

Pointer registers are used to save pointers to other cpu instructions (that you can jump to) and or pointers to data in the main system memory.

PPC → Intel 32

PPC has 32 pointer registers and 32 Floating Point registers
intel has 8 pointer registers and 8 (ish) Floating Point registers

This is a big issue for an emulation layer, when the compiler produced PPC instructions it will have assumed it have 32 places to save numbers it was working on without needing to copy these in and out of memory so the compiler will not have attempted to optimise what is copied in and out of memory, But when you run this on an intel 32bit cpu you only have 8 such slots so very soon you run out and you need to start moving values in and out of system memory… this is slow! (like very very slow) you then need to remember what values you moved to system memory so that you can move them back later (or not since intel 32 is not very good at using registers at all)…

Also it is worth looking at the issue with pointer registers these are locations in system memory that you can jump and run code from/read data from. a PPC program will have used all of these to store locations in system memory, but with intel 32 there are only 8, these are very quicky filled up so you end up creating fake ones in system memory… lots more round trips…

x86-64 → Arm64

x86-64 has 16 pointer registers and 16 or 32 Floating Point registers
Arm64 has 31 pointer registers and 32 Floating Point registers

So you don’t need to do any of this extra copy/moving and tracking that all takes a long long time, you can directly map the x86-64 register to an Arm64 register and just use it as is.

64bit to 32bit

This describes the size of a number and pointer that can be handled by the cpu in a single instruction. Eg add to numbers together or point to a location in system memory.

PPC → Intel 32

During the PPC to intel transition PPC already had 64bit support, not all applications used it but those that did produced a new class of issue for the emulation layer! As the intel cpus at the time just supported 16bit and 32bit operation and did not have any support for 64bit

This leads to some big issues:

For math what you can do is attempt to down cast to 32bit and accept that there will be numerical output differences! This has some issues if you are reading numbers from disk/network that were saved as 64bit you cant just read them as 32bit you need to convert! hard to detect this in an emulator so most of the time like with the endianness you will have to convert from 64bit to 32bit do the work then convert back to 64bit…

Pointers are even more of an issue however… if you only have a 32bit pointer for example you an only address upto 4GB of data directly, an application written in 64bit can however address much more data than that… luckily at the time 4GB of system memory was still a pipe dream so most of these 64bit addresses were for data on disk and you can emulate that away at an OS level.

x86-64 to ARM64

Both of these are the same so you dont have any such issues.

Going from CISC to a RISC like instruction sets is not as hard as going from a RISC to CISC.

PPC → Intel 32

When your going from a RISC to a CISC instruction sets (PPC → intel 32bit was very bad) you need to look ahead and combine multiple RISC instructions into one CISC instruction. This lookahead can be hard to do well as it might even require you to re-shape memory… again.

This is why the intel 32 does not have that many registers since unlike PPC most instructions in intel32 operate directly on system memory reading data from it and writing it back to system memory. The idea of CISC is you send these instructions to the cpu and the cpu internally keeps track of things and might replace them with more RISC like operations that don’t go all the way to memory but you the compiler do not control this.

x86-64 to ARM64

When you are going from CISC to RISC you can just take any given CISC instruction and break it down into a known set of RISC instructions so you don’t need any from a lookahead you should be able to break down all CISC instructions into 1 or more RISC instructions.

Note that modern x86-64 is a lot more RISC than you might expect, x86-64 introduced a lot of RISC like instructions that operate directly on cpu registers rather than always referencing memory directly. This is why dropping 32bit support makes emulation a lot simpler as it drops an entire class of nasty instructions that require round trips to system memory (that only uses a lot more power).

So these are why it is simpler to go from x86-64 to Arm64 that is not to say it is easy and not to say there are still lots of difficulties and issues.

this lot quite long but i hope it is helpful for people to understand some of the complexities with the previous transitions. While the above applies to an emulation solution for many developers back then it also applied to when they attempted to recompile their applications, they just did not work without modification. Recompiling from x86-64 to Arm64 will be massively simpler.

10 Likes

Yup, too long. The post I referred to was by a chip designer whose post compared the relative ease between emulating x86_64 to aarch64 compared to the PowerPC to x86_32 emulation Apple earlier architected. What went over my head was his discussion of the difficulty in the earlier transition of emulating 32 general-purpose registers onto a chip that had only eight, and where half of those were-special purpose. I should have been a little clearer about this and saved you a 1400-word intro.

1 Like