Apple Headset Stalls, Struggles to Attract Killer Apps WSJ

Once price points come down to reasonable levels, I’d be so happy with 2D movies in 3D spaces! Being able to choose from a home theater, cineplex, drive-in, or other locales would be awesome. Some day.

Tie-ins with Cinematic Universes would also be welcome—watch Star Wars in the Mos Eisley cantina! Watch Alien on the Nostromo! Watch Lord of the Rings in Rivendell!

2 Likes

If the camera was just an input device there may be no need to save the images. For example, I could look at a sign in Italy and say “Hey Siri, what does that sign say?”. Or look at a white board and ask a question about what is displayed there.

Google didn’t explain at the time but near the end of the demo (below) the speaker puts down her phone, puts on a pair of glasses, then asks the AI a question.

1 Like

I can understand your frustration. But there are at least 6 different companies licensed to show Major League Baseball. It’s probably much more complicated than hiring a crew to film a game.

The arrival of AI surprised Apple and they are trying to deliver a new feature, for their most important product, that they should have started working on around four years ago. My guess is a lot of products and services may be delayed until Apple catches up.

2 Likes

Could be true, especially for Meta. Google and Apple? They may feud in public, but as we have seen TONS of money changes hands for placement on the iPhone. I think Google will happily put apps on the AVP if there is a possibility of revenue (i.e., ads) in apps like YouTube.

Good point on costs for developers. Although to be fair, it’s not like any developer relies on the simulator…from what I can tell they all have multiple generations of iPhones, iPads, and Watches…but you are right…the AVP is way more expensive!

Oh yeah, as I said they’ll do it if and when they’re certain they’ll be missing out on revenue if they don’t do it, but until that happens (and there’s no guarantee that it will) they don’t have any incentive to help make the AVP a success by producing apps or content specifically for it. If the Vision Pro fails, the dominate feeling among Google’s leadership is going to be schadenfreude.

Yes, but they don’t do it because they like Apple and want to help them out. They do it because if they didn’t, they’d miss out on vast amounts of net revenue from the transactions.

Looks like surgery may be the first significant one.

From the linked post:

“The monitors in the operating room are probably $20,000 to $30,000,” he said. “So $3,500 for a headset is like budget dust in the healthcare setting.”

…Longhurst says his team believes that the Apple Vision Pro “is going to be the standard of care in the next years to come, in operating rooms all over the world.”

1 Like

Microsoft recently ended production of the HoloLens so that may lead to other commercial opportunities for the Vision Pro. Nvidia has already demonstrated using the VP with its Omniverse digital twin system.

2 Likes

It’s I’d completely forgotten about the HoloLens. I’ve never seen one except in photos and never known anyone who had one.

HoloLens was a commercial product

1 Like