Apple JavaScript learning resources

Would some one please share their Apple JavaScript learning resources or should I just use generic resources? I assume that the Apple Core Javascript is a bit more tailored to Mac/iOS/iPadOS/watchOS. I really have no requirements for JavaScript on any other platforms.

Thank you!

Mark

1 Like

Code Academy has some good free ones

3 Likes
2 Likes

It’s not free, but this book is where I go when I need to learn something in JS:

It’s well-written and explains everything from basic to advanced. I do a lot of Apple Core JS, and this is a great reference when I have problems.

2 Likes

after free YouTube classes …

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=javascript

… you might try these - very big sales all the time here…

https://www.udemy.com/courses/search/?src=ukw&q=javascript

1 Like

I found regular JavaScript resources only marginally helpful at first, given that I wanted to learn to use JavaScript for automation on the Mac or in apps like Scriptable on iOS.

Most JavaScript tutorials start, and end, with using it on web pages, which at least feels very different. I had to grapple with DOM and other things that just weren’t very applicable

It would be great if there were a collection of resources for learning this kind of use of JavaScript.

Gradually, I’ve gotten to know a little more js, and now I’m better at translating from js for the web to what I need, especially if I’m just trying to figure out a particular function. But it took a while, despite already knowing a fair bit of python, and having used some other languages (php, lua, a little Java, basic, tutor, etc.)

2 Likes

You hit the nail on the head here. I’m a “hacker” in the classical sense - and just hack things together to make it work. I can hack in Python and Rust and a few “ancient” languages but I want to learn JavaScript for use in Mac/iOS automation.

I did purchase the O’Reilly book for my library and will take the CodeAcademy courses just to get a basic feel for the language.

Thank you all for your tips.

Mark

1 Like
4 Likes