Apple News - Is it any good now?

Well, I don’t know what to tell you. I’m subscribed to Apple News+ and I don’t see any advertisements.

I can read Wired without having to deal with their paywall, so that’s a plus.

It might depend on what’s being read (or whether much time is actually being spent in the app.) There definitely are ads, outside of ad-blocking on a network level or via a filtering VPN. Here’s an example from Vox: The state of infrastructure talks in Congress, explained

Here are some other articles from Today that have ads in them. I’d be curious if you see anything in those articles.

Even NPR has one inserted:

Yes you are the only one who doesn’t see the ads. They are in every article. The repetitiveness of the same ads are also annoying.

1 Like

I don’t pay for subscriptions that I rarely use.

Sorry that your experience with the app is different.

Yeah, sure thing. Here’s an article from Wired that I found in the Apple News+ category. No advertisements in sight!

Ads/no ads, depends on which section of “Wired” the article is located. This may be true of other magazines in Apple News +. I haven’t looked.

2 Likes

Ah, I didn’t realize that. I guess it only applies to content unlocked by an Apple News+ subscription?

My apologies! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I wonder why that’s the case?

I like Apple News but I’ve also learned to block certain channels and to select “show less” for news stories. Over time the app gets much better at showing substantive news and less gossip and the latest celebrity scandal.

An example of a channel I’ve blocked is BGR. I find them to use excessive clickbait for titles.

Forbes is somehow even worse.

1 Like

After a day using NextDNS to remove ads I disabled the service as it was also turning off images in mail… I didn’t think it would bug me at first but it did. So, at least for the moment, back to RSS via Newsify!

1 Like

Forbes has gotten significantly worse over the past 5-10 years as they moved from a model of journalists that were employees of Forbes, to a model of freelancers that get paid based on the amount of clicks. You can see what that would do to both the quality of reporting as well as the click-bait titles we are now seeing.

I used to subscribe religiously to Forbes, Fortune and Businessweek. Haven’t touched Forbes in over 3 years now.

P.S. They have a freelancer that has a strong bias against Apple.