Apple Pay is Magic

I live in Australia, and I use Apple Pay everywhere! I don’t carry cash or physical cards, and with Apple Pay on the Watch, I don’t even need to carry my iPhone any more.

4 Likes

At the risk of sounding like I am hijacking this topic, I don’t really get Apple Pay. I mean I know how to use it but it seems any terminal that has the NFC (or really a wifi icon) it will take payment from your phone as long as you have a cc set up in your Apple wallet. But I thought the whole point of apple pay was that you fingerprint or face ID was your code/signature. I have been to only a few places that have the Apple Pay icon on the cc terminal that when I use it it just works and I am done. Other, and when i say other I mean the other 90% of the places I go always ask me for my pin code in conjunction with using my iPhone. All this saves me is from pulling out my card instead of my phone so really, it does not save me much.

Why am I having to enter my PIN every time I pay with my phone if the terminal has the Apple Pay icon on it?

PS These transactions are usually less than $25 (US)

Many thanks,
Houston

The US is the only place I’ve ever been asked for a PIN while using ApplePay. (It’s also the only place where I’m still asked (fairly often) to swipe my credit card instead of using chip and PIN.)

1 Like

I’m not sure that’s 100% true. Last summer I was in a Kroger and they told me they only accepted Samsung’s version of contactless because “Apple charges us way too much to accept Apple Pay.” Very frustrating, as I’d forgotten my wallet and the only way I could attempt to pay for anything was with my phone/watch.

I heard that same line from some retailer in the U.S. last week. Too expensive. I got the distinct impression that this is what management had told them. In fact, from what I can tell, using contactless payments, and Apple Pay specifically, actually reduces the fee retailers pay by around 10%.

I get the feeling that “too expensive” actually means “we can’t gather enough data about you”

2 Likes

Living in Norway where Apple Pay works everywhere but grocery stores. I Germany, where I’m from, it works pretty much everywhere (ok, small restaurants are an exception maybe). Havn’t used cash on trips home for a while now.

1 Like

You cannot use Apple Pay without authorizing with TouchID, or FaceID on iPhone. I double-click the side button on my Apple Watch to authorize.

I am close to the US border and do a bit of shopping in the US. Have never been asked for a PIN or anything using Apple Pay at Aldi’s.

In Canada, where I have been using Apple Pay extensively for a number of years…zero requirement for PIN. That does make it less time/effort saving for you, for sure.

I think that some of that has to do with your bank’s requirements, but there are some stores that also require it. If you’re using a debit card, doing it as a credit card transaction might eliminate the need for the PIN.

To help with the “I think” part concerning card processing fees, this is a area that I work with daily. I install equipment/software/and train staff for the use of those. Here is a article that explains it all well.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the writer or website posting it.

1 Like

NFC has been going in Australia for some years now and just about every place has it. I don’t even carry cash any more, no need! Just about everyone takes card (which means apple pay) even at farmers markets and the like! It’s awesome. We still have a few banks holding out, but at least 75% of all bank providers in Aus have apple pay support now (see it’s not just the merchants (aka stores) accepting it, the bank has to offer it as well)

2 Likes

I just used Apple Pay to buy something on a website it’s very easy, very nice using it. How can I switch the shipping address to a different address is that possible?? I don’t want to change the address, just if I want to send something to my mom how can I ship it to her instead of changing everything?

When using Apple Pay there’s only one address you can have saved, which you configure through your AppleID. Personally, I wouldn’t try to keep changing my address lest it set up some sort of flag for future cc purchases. (Also it’s a pain.)

If I’m shipping to a different address I don’t use ApplePay, but auto-fill all info via 1Password. It takes a few seconds longer than ApplePay but a lot less time than manually entering my name, address and cc info.

1 Like

Maybe I’m misunderstanding this, but you can have multiple addresses set up in the wallet and you can choose one when checking out :thinking: (I have three, for instance)

The number of places accepting contactless payments and by extension Apple Pay has exploded here in Germany in the last couple of months because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Card payments are actively being encouraged over cash in order to reduce the risk of transmission. My bank (one of the biggest) was one of the last to offer Apple Pay but now that they are onboard the usage is rocketing, even in small shops.
One benefit to ApplePay here is that it is just treated as your normal credit card, so I can pay decent amounts (a weekly shop for example), in the UK it’s treated as a contactless payment and therefore limited to small amounts (£30?).

That might be true in some scenarios…

I’ve used Apple Pay (in the uk) to pay for things over the contactless limit. Think my biggest purchase on Apple Pay was about £300 for a printer.

From a quick google about it (as I was curious about this myself), looks like the situation over here is a bit complicated. It doesn’t look like Apple sets a limit themselves but then some banks can choose to set limits and some retailers can set up their machines to only accept up to a given limit (sometimes the same as regular contactless - sometimes not).
Even here it seems a common belief that Apple Pay is limited to £30, I’ve surprised a number of terminal operators when the transaction has gone through just as they’re trying to tell me it won’t work. :wink:

I’ve never had a situation where Apple Pay wouldn’t work for being over a given limit though if banks & vendors can set their own limits I suspect that scenario does exist somewhere.

Europe is awesome with contact less cards, Apple Watch, Apple Pay system. I do travels to Prague and even on smaller counties of CZ every place have a ATM system that accept the Apple Pay. Hope US and even territories like Puerto Rico start moving forward and upgrade all the systems.

I had it happen to me when I visited relatives in the UK last summer. I was buying some little things in a shop and the total came to £31 so the transaction was refused. I had to borrow cash from my sister-in-law because I’d left my wallet in the car. I’ve just seen that the contactless limit has been raised to £45.

Apple Pay on the LTE watch has been my fav new tech in the last few years. I can go out for a run with watch and AirPods, and nothing else. Can pick up coffee or something after with ease. Can even get in gym as pass is in wallet in the good old days before the world was closed.

Sorry to hear you found that limit! :frowning:
I wonder if it was the Bank or Vendor that imposed that limit. If you’re venturing over here again then maybe check with your bank & see if they impose any limits on Apple Pay transactions that take place abroad, it could be another variable just to confuse matters further!
Yes, I understand that the contactless limit has been bumped to £45, I think I heard mention that it was done in response to this C-19 situation though I’m not certain on that.