Apple Pencil not going to sleep

It used to be the Apple Pencil (v2 with an iPad Pro) would go to sleep when not in use. I know it did this because after an hour or so it would disappear from the battery widget on the iPad. The Pencil’s battery would last a week with light use.

Since the last iPadOS update (16.2) the Pencil never disappears from the battery widget and the battery is draining in 2-3 days.

I tried rebooting the iPad, but have no idea what else I can do. Anyone else notice this?

I have no good idea, but it would be interesting to see how the pencil behaves with a different iPad.

Maybe, the battery inside the pencil has died or is beginning to die and the iPad is trying to charge the pencil constantly because of that.

Edit:

Apple will replace the pencil for $29 if there is an issue with its battery:

1 Like

Thanks, I have a second iPad (Mini), same behavior, it stays active. So either the pencil is dying or there is a bug. Guessing since no one else is seeing this, must be just me. Pencil is 4 years old I think.

I have not noticed anything similar so far. Knocking on wood.

The only debug option for Apple Pencils that comes into my mind is re-pairing it to the iPad (forget device - and then pairing it again). But I doubt that it will do the trick.

I guess a replacement pen might be the “solution”. If it is the battery, it should only cost $29 (it feels a bit funny calling the pen’s replacement a “battery replacement”, but that’s another story).

1 Like

Thanks @Christian, unpairing it and repairing it worked. It now goes to sleep after it hasn’t been used for awhile.

1 Like