Apple Repairability

I read an article today written by a self-described Apple fanboy; he said he was giving up on Apple because of the increasing difficulty in self-repair and -upgrade of Apple products.

Now, I’m too old and impatient to switch to a new OS, but I certainly sympathize with this guy’s viewpoint. I did a couple of repairs and upgrades on my last iMac, a 2011, and it was a pretty nervous experience. And I’m no novice. Fast forward to today, and on the iMac Pro, the user can do literally nothing, not even add RAM.

I don’t know why Apple has chosen this route, but I’m not happy about it.

With repairs of the new iPad Pros running as much as 67% of new, resale is likely to be greatly diminished compared to older models. Apple laptops are almost as bad.

Once AppleCare runs out how much can we reasonably expect to get for a device with a four year lifespan?

Oh, one of those, “I’m a big Apple lover and here’s why I’m saying goodbye” articles.

I read an article today written by a self-described Apple fanboy; he said he was giving up on Apple because of the increasing difficulty in self-repair and -upgrade of Apple products.

I see that this morning Macworld’s Macalope humorously dissected that particular “I’m breaking up with Apple!” piece from the self-described one-time ‘disciple’: