Apple scrambles to quash iOS app sideloading demands with 'think of the children' defense

I would have understood better if you had put the emoji after the relevant sentence and not the shrug. :wink:

But how often is that actually happening? :roll_eyes:

Enough that the EFF has raised alarm. Again, please see the DF post.

Noted. :slight_smile: 20 characters.

1 Like

I skimmed it. Goodness that article is long.

Iā€™m not seeing this play out this way in real-life. Apple often approves many apps that are user hostile and request access to data they shouldnā€™t. Or they charge insane amounts of money that people donā€™t realize, and these apps donā€™t get pulled. They remain.

This is so tongue and cheek to me. Allow apps to redirect users to the open internet to accept payments (even though THAT could scam people out of money) because effectively itā€™s already happening and this will further reinforce Appleā€™s strong hold because people will choose to make purchases through Appleā€™s system. Weā€™re seeing this very thing play out with ā€œSign in with Apple IDā€. The difference is ā€œSign in with Apple IDā€ isnā€™t a money making technology.

This is the crux of it all for me. I feel like all of the arguments are a smoke screen for Appleā€™s true motives. Which, I feel, are found in the fact that the App Store makes Apple a lot of money, and they seem to be unwilling to accept that this is at odds with their arguments against user choice on their platform.

I do think that the iOS platform would be less secure, but not in any way that makes it worse than a computer today. In fact, most of the technology that Apple has baked into iOS could be adapted to allow for this alternative and still provide a level of protection that is superior to macOS. The problem is not that they canā€™t do it. The problem is that they donā€™t want to give users that choice for fear of losing that revenue stream.

Again, to each their own. I think Iā€™ve probably said enough on this topic. :stuck_out_tongue:

But my program is meant to be available for any shepherd to use for free. So YES, I DO need USERS to be able to sideload to use my programs.

I get asked any time I do a demo about whether there is an iOS version.

It appears so, I had access to a rooted phone once and was able to talk to the bluetooth stack that way. Now rooted and sideloading are not the same.

OTOH we are working on a way touse a cheap commercial bar code reader with new BaaCode in LambTracker that can read datamatrix codes instead of EID chips. All US official ear tags hav datamatrix codes as well as EID chips so that may be a way around. But then I will STILL need the sideload capability.

1 Like

I did and loved it. Flipped that little developer switch on my FireTV and used it until my FireTV died of old age. iOS devices should have the same developer switch. If Apple wants to be greedy and charge me $100 to flip it, I will accept that. Freedom is never a bad thing. Nobody is being forced to leave the walled garden. what I do on my device does not affect anyone else.

btw I have jailbroken and lived within the Jailbreak Realm on every iPhone I owned from the 3gs to the 8plus. Did anyone really suffer? No.

did my jailbreak cause you harm? I apologize. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

the only security holes that ever need fixing are the ones apple creates.

so nice of you to decide how I can use my device. :grinning:

2 Likes

And vice versaā€¦

I want my devices to be as secure and intertwined as possible. Itā€™s as simple as that.

3 Likes

The intent is: you want Androidā€™s freedom, buy Android.

I could install 4x4 suspensions on my sedan, but thatā€™s not how the builder intended it. If I want a 4x4, I buy a 4x4.

If I wanted to side load, Iā€™d buy Android. If I want to game, I buy Windows.

1 Like

nobody is telling you what to do. the freedom to flip a dev switch does not mean you have to. :grinning:

1 Like

As mentioned above, maybe you should use Android then.

1 Like

soon it will be, ā€œif I want to install mac apps that are not alliowed in the app store, I buy windows.ā€ donā€™t go down this path. choose freedom.

1 Like

the freedom to flip a dev switch

Which might not be as free as you think. See above.

Man, if sideloading comes to iOS (which seems likely), I really hope this thread remains available when we get to see the consequences, whatever they are, in whichever direction they go.

Sideloading has aways been here. We jailbreak to access it. It hurt nobody.

you arenā€™t really qualified to make that decision for me.

Oh come on, a little good faith here: jail breaking is not readily available to anyone, not as side loading is on Android.

You are not qualified either to decide whether iOS must have side loading if users prefer the current model. None of you gets to decide for the other.

and how has that worked out for you in the walled garden?

Some interesting numbers for perspective : the main Apple French info website ran a poll about side loading. 3 users out of 4 do not want any side loading, of any kind. (Several thousand votes, so a reasonable sample size, and for a specialized tech website)

no one shall be forced to sideload anything. however right now users are forced to not sideload. this is wrong.

not breaking news, some people are scared of freedom.

however, the most likely reason for this result is the people they polled do not have the slightest clue as to what sideloading is.