Apple TV+ - What am I missing?

Odds are your vibe is correct. It would be interesting to see Apple take a more hands off approach to TMS and their other shows.

Money can’t buy you love, or the talent to write and direct. And “hands off” isn’t in Apple’s DNA.

2 Likes

Just go into the Channel itself on Apple TV or the app. Personally I loved The Beastie Boys Story, Defending Jacob, Servant, Central Park, Mythic Quest, and Amazing Stories was very nostalgic for me. Loved that show as a kid.

1 Like

I’m happy with the content on ATV+. Right now, viewer standards are rising so quickly that no service can manage more than a few shows a year to impress any particular person who’s seen a lot of prestige TV. Incisive analysis above about The Morning Show.

I (lovingly) chuckled at the original impetus for this thread, but the app design has issues, and so does the player. Small player controls, poor skip control, poor language and caption management, and inability to navigate the episode list without leaving the player are all problems. Apple’s decision to essentially use the default iOS video player is a major mistake and I think their user retention will suffer for it. And I don’t think they’re going to have an easy time building the culture of product testing to learn quickly.

Channel management I don’t find awkward, though, other than needing to dig through my iTunes subscriptions preference pane rather than having it accessible within the TV app.

1 Like

Netflix interface is trash in my opinion. They really only have Ozark and stand-up specials that are truly worthwhile. I personally would drop it if my wife didn’t like it so much.

1 Like

If I may just reiterate, I’m all for pushing diversity and not shying away from important, current themes. But if you write a story, the story must be allowed to breathe, and sometimes that might mean not being able to say absolutely everything you intended to say on the subject. Which is fine. That leaves room for other stories (yours or other people’s).

4 Likes

It continues to be so refreshing to be part of a tech community where people can have different opinions, yet not resort to the trolling and name-calling that I see on some other Apple sites (yes, macrumors, I’m talking about you).

Perhaps I am an outlier, but I am enjoying ATV+ immensely. Loved Defending Jacob, Servant, Mythic Quest (try telling me the quarantine episode wasn’t a wonderful piece of work) and Home Before Dark. I have enjoyed several of the documentaries too.

The Morning Show was a standout for me. It’s interesting to hear people’s different takes on the show. I want some shows that are confronting and thought-provoking, and I thought TMS did a great job of that for such an important and relevant topic that’s been swept under the carpet for too long.

I feel the same about Netflix and Prime. I gravitate towards the Netflix Original and Prime Original shows, mostly the grittier dramas and the documentaries. Always something good to watch there.

I appreciate that Disney+ has 250 trillion subscribers or whatever the latest figures are, but as someone who has little interest in Star Wars or Marvel, it’s basically a back catalog of Pixar movies for me. Don’t get me wrong - we are still one of the 250 trillion as our grandkids love it, but I doubt there will be much in the way of new content that will interest me.

Anyway, after all that, I THINK my point is ‘different streaming strokes for different folks’. More streaming services hopefully means more competition, better quality programming and more choice for us all.

Happy streaming.

2 Likes

We live in amazing times. As a kid in the 1950-60’s we grew up with 1 black and white TV with two channels. Then ABC Network started and we got three channels. Then two of the networks launched TV stations in another near-by city within the broadcast radius, and we got 5 channels. That I guess was enough for my Dad to buy a color TV (in a beautiful cabinet) for us to better enjoy Bonanza and a few other shows. And on we go.

1 Like

The good thing is, there’s plenty of services to get different types of content. I take your point about storytelling though this too is subjective about what the “ideal” ratio is. For example, I didn’t perceive a heavy-handed value vibe from For All Mankind. To me, it still has a lot of light-hearted “space cowboys” feelings with some interesting alt-history perspectives, which also incorporate historically marginalized groups (women, POC) in the space program, but not in an overt way–it didn’t feel forced to me. Heck, even the title is “mankind” not “person-kind” which would be more progressive and blunt about values (which I support and has been historically an issue in aerospace industry).

Nonetheless, I appreciate the writers angle you offered. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here we just get spicy about the definition of “software bug” LOL :joy:

4 Likes

I’m a bit late to the party on this, but I’m really loving Ted Lasso. Special kudos to Hannah Waddingham and Juno Temple who take what could have been one-note roles and imbue them with lots of humanity. Looking forward to Season 2 and 3. (That said, I still think The Mandalorian is the best show of 2020 and that they wuz robbed at the Upgradies).

4 Likes

Late to the party again, but Mythic Quest is really good. Charlotte Nicdao is brilliant as Poppy Li and “A Dark Quiet Death” and “Mythic Quest: Quarantine” are two of the best episodes of television I’ve ever seen.

3 Likes

Agree 100% on all points. Absolutely brilliant show!

Seeing Servants on the news that viewership has risen since Season 2 was released. Episode 3 just came out and we’re going to watch it later. Since we recently acquired a 4K TV with with HDR10, Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision and a new AppleTV 4K—decided to see Home and Tiny World and it is gorgeous! I salute Apple for releasing all their content in Dolby Vision and Atmos.

Home Before Dark is also good and finished it in just two days. Will see if Defending Jacob is good and probably check out See and For All Mankind just for the Dolby Vision/Atmos.

Upgrading to a 4K TV was really expensive. I didn’t anticipate the fact that I needed a new HDMI that can handle not just 4K but also be able to output HDR and Dolby for the AppleTV. But it was worth it.

1 Like

Defending Jacob is great. Highly recommend :+1:t3:

1 Like

There’s absolutely not much to it. They surely know which movies I’ve started watching elsewhere. I’ve forgotten about most of them and maybe I sorta wanted it that way, typically.

Then I have a hard time finding what little they do have to offer on Apple TV+. And it’s free!

But a lot of the other stuff isn’t free. They ought to pay us $5 a month for hiding their free programs! Like a Treasure Hunt.

I’d imagine that Disney, Boomerang, Amazon Prime etcetera are paying a fee to Apple. :green_apple: I mean, some of these movie/tv services I’ve never even heard of. To tell the truth, I rather avoid it lately unless I’m looking for an iTunes movie I’ve rented. And they have eliminated their 99 cent deals.

I do love Apple but they seem to be getting a wee bit greedy lately.

I found very little on ATV+ worth paying for. I really enjoyed the “Long Way …” documentaries and Ted Lasso was great. But I got tired of the constant bait and switch marketing and cancelled my free trial.

2 Likes