Apple Watch Practical Use

Daily uses for my Apple Watch:

• Listening to podcasts while running
  • Tracking my run
  • General fitness tracking
  • Telling the time
  • Using Find My
  • Checking the weather (several times a day)
  • Checking my calendar
  • Answering phone calls
  • Asking Siri random questions that pop into my head
  • Or to ask her to set timer
  • Or to ask her to reply to a text message

I was a skeptic once about the Apple Watch, but after having one for a few years I use the heck out of it. It’s especially useful when working on projects around the house, like building a shed or installing doors, times when my hands are occupied and it’s not easy to reach my phone.

1 Like

Oh, and directions when driving, especially out of state or in unfamiliar cities.

1 Like

You may find this interesting… https://www.manager-tools.com/2012/02/fruit-bowl-meetings.

1 Like

Like others I love being able to call for a timer (my wife’s tea steeps for between 1 → 3 minutes). I use it record bike rides, track heart rate while on the rowing machine. Recently I’ve used to check that my max heart rate in interval rowing is safe.

When I have a podcast playing I can pause/play from the watch.

Dictating to Drafts is fun to.

In addition to workouts, alarms, timers, notifications, notes, etc. I pay for practically everything with my Apple Watch, and I find this really handy. Most often I do this at the supermarket, but places where I can pay this way have become increasingly common. Also, here in New York you can pay with an Apple Watch to use the subway. If you set up “Express Mode” on your phone, you can ride the subway here by simply touching your watch to the turnstile at the entrance. I suppose you could do these payments with a phone as well, but it sure feels efficient to do it from your wrist without taking anything out of a pocket or bag.

2 Likes

I completely forgot about this, and I do it at least a dozen times a week.

Payments with the watch? It really is convenient!

1 Like

I love that with the watch set to haptic notifications and the phone set to silent, I live my life without any annoying audible alerts.

4 Likes

Health - closing my rings is my biggest use for the watch. Also the heart monitors are nice even though I’m pretty young and hopefully won’t need it anytime soon.

I also like quick texts in replay without whipping out my phone.

The quiet notifications the watch gives me (vibrate/ tap on the wrist) rather than the disruptive noise form the phone. Yes, you can quiet notifications on the phone but with vibrate only on that device I found I missed them more often.

It occurs to me now that I have lived in California during the entire time I’ve carried a mobile phone in my pocket. And I was already living in San Diego (where I still live) when I got my first smartphone.

I never need anything heavier than a light jacket, so my phone – which lives in my pants pocket – is always accessible.

If I had to wrestle with a heavy jacket and gloves to get at my phone, I might be happier to use the Apple Watch for more things.

The mobile pay terminals I encounter are fussy about where you hold the phone. I imagine trying to use them with an Apple Watch would be even more fussy.

Exactly. Imagine also trying to glance at your phone while working with horses. Phones are usually left in the jeep, so being able to glance at my watch to see the time or weather or the next appointment is super.

1 Like

Pushing a heavy sleeve up while pulling the top of a glove down to uncover your AW isn’t much better. :grinning: My solution is to wear an AirPod and turn on announce incoming notifications

1 Like

Starbucks payment via drive through. Having it on the watch, bridges the gap easier and lessens the drop risk factor.
As others have said, Drafts dictate is good.
So it the Just Press Record complication.
Closing my rings helped me lose 50 lbs in the last 10 months. :muscle:

7 Likes

I need to look at this. I didn’t realize this would work. Do they just scan your watch like they do the app on the phone?

1 Like

As a watch. :wink:

Or are you really asking about complications and other data?

1 Like

Yes. They often ask (if I don’t say) if I would like to use any rewards towards the drink. Very handy.

1 Like

Besides a watch, my most used Watch apps are:

AnyList— great for shopping at the market instead of constantly referring to the list on my phone.
Workouts—for tracking my weight training and runs.
Wallet & ApplePay—Paying for stuff or accessing a reward/loyalty card (Starbucks or Ace Hdwe for example)
Timers, Weather, and the app for my car are also useful on the watch.