Apple Watch Series 5

Just FYI, I discovered SYM because my old fave, Gazelle, no longer buys iMacs and I had to find a new place. That link above is from email, so it should work. Not an affiliate link.

I just realized something interesting: The Apple Watch hasn’t really changed much visually since it was introduced (even Series 3 and Series 4 are hard to tell apart when the display isn’t on). The always-on display means the Series 5 will be the first Apple Watch upgrade where it will be readily obvious that someone has the latest watch just from seeing it on their wrist.

2 Likes

True. You no longer have to take a peek at the crown.

I went to the Apple Store yesterday and they didn’t have any series 5s yet, but were selling series 4s at a slight discount. I settled on the heavily discounted series 3 - my first Apple Watch. I’m pleased so far, but I’m keeping an eye on the two week return window.

3 Likes

I’ve had all of the Watches since inception, but series 3 with cellular was sort of an inflection point for me. It went from being an accessory for my iPhone to a truly standalone communications platform with the introduction of cellular.

1 Like

Ah I had no intent to get a new Apple Watch after a series 4 last year. The Always on display was a total shock and instantly felt worth the upgrade - though I’m still waiting to pull the trigger.

1 Like

One of the reasons I like the aluminum model is the lighter weight. Did you notice the increase in weight to the SS model? Ceramic is out of my price range and the titanium is iffy for the same reason.

1 Like

The stainless steel definitely has a bit of heft to it, but it’s not distracting in any way.

Do you sleep with AW on your wrist? If so, you are supposed to be able to turn off the Always On display. If not, S5’s display is reportedly not lit when off your wrist, i.e. on the charger.

Either way, if you’re never going to use AOD display then I’d agree you don’t need to get an S5. However it is really hard to believe you wouldn’t use it (during the day).

I’d say at least 25% of the time I look at my AW it either doesn’t light up because I didn’t move it enough or I don’t want to twist my wrist just right to check the time and my complications. An annoyance that is outweighed by all the utility but an annoyance I’d love not to experience throughout the day. Heck, after wearing AWs for almost 5 years now I’ve probably adapted so I’ll actually look at it a lot more often with AOD.

1 Like

I turn on the Theater Mode when I’m off to bed but I would love if the Series 5 would add a feature that will sync with DND or use your Bedtime schedule to turn off your display and turn it on in the morning.

3 Likes

This seems like a no-brainer but DND rarely gets much love. All these years after Continuity was intro’d we still can’t enable DND across all of our Apple devices at once… sure would be nice for sleep, focus sessions, etc.

2 Likes

yeah I was expecting them to expand it on iOS13. Hopefully on the 2nd part of a major update of iOS 13. Would be nice if I can trigger it on calendar events too.

2 Likes

Is something not working correctly for you, or am I misunderstanding what you’re looking for?

Whenever my phone has DND enabled, my watch does, too.

 Watch and iPhone DND are synced but Mac and iPad aren’t. This would have to be an optional setting because you might want to silence only some devices but normally when I bother to turn on DND I want silence! :shushing_face::rofl:

1 Like

I’m Series 3 now (which replaced a Series 0).

If I’m a good boy :slight_smile: I expect a Series 5 to appear in late December.

1 Like

What he said. And 4 is my lucky # so I’ll stick w/it as long as I can :slight_smile:

I do this too. I use SleepWatch for sleep tracking data, and theater mode is a nice way to keep light from the watch from waking me.

I am still using series 0 happily. I love seeing how long Apple products keep their functionality. My “lamp shade” iMac lasted eleven years and then another five as a dedicated music player. I hired it is about ymmv.

What is the advantage of the ceramic case? … Weight?

And why is it so much more expensive than Titanium?

Thanks!

–Tim

(Anyone may move this post to a more appropriate spot, if I missed the main thread!).

I’m currently wearing a Series 3 which I’ve really liked. I had a 0 and a 2. Thinking about what I should purchase if anything finally got me to sell or trade in these two watches and also my old First Gen. iPad Air and iPad Mini. So, with the money from those and a few Apple Gift Cards that I have, I’ll probably spring for 5 trading in my 3 at that time. I’ve decided to do it at the Apple Store instead of online and also that if they don’t have the one I want at the Apple Store, I’m going to hold off.

The feature that really matters to me is the Always On feature. I foresee it being just as important has the notifications feature. Why? Well, when I sitting counseling someone and I need to check the time to see if their time is up or my next appointment has arrived, the gesture needed to turn on the watch face isn’t discreet enough to not be noticed by the person with whom I’m meeting. I hoping that this will solve that problem, because it often distracts them.