Apple Watch Series 5

“Always on” would be a pain to me - if it couldn’t be turned off overnight.

One of my (three :slight_smile: ) chargers is by my bed. I’ll soon be sleeping alone :slight_smile: if the screen doesn’t turn off at night.

Presumably theatre mode still exists. I currently kick my series 3 into theatre mode at night and shall do the same when my series 5 arrives.

It’s the same as an any expensive ceramic watch made: it’s a different material, it’s one of the hardest materials so it’s extremely difficult to scratch - it’s generally considered scratchproof, and won’t show signs of aging even after years of use. It’s also light, and unlike titanium, which some people have allergies to, it’s hypoallergenic. One reason for its expense is that it’s difficult and costly to work with. But from what I’ve read, Apple’s tooling puts it in a class with multi-thousand-dollar watch-watches.

2 Likes

Always on seems to be something that can be toggled. But as @leanda said, Theatre mode is a thing and will continue to be a thing.

1 Like

Thanks @leanda and @lukei4655.

I wonder if I’ll be able to automate that - by time of day - from the phone (given Shortcuts doesn’t run on the watch).

I can dream… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It can be. But more useful is the preexisting Nightstand Mode; John Gruber noted recently on his blog, “Nightstand Mode seems to work the same — the display turns off for most of the night, and slowly comes back on as it nears the time when the watch thinks you want to wake up.”

I’m pretty upbeat about this, as I think are most people who reviewed the Watch for the last few generations and noted the lack of always-on as a deficiency. In a couple of years Apple Watches 0-4 are going to look so old, the way original iPods with LCD screens when color screens came out.

I was at my local Apple Store today. Online delivery date for the Apple Watch Nike series is in two weeks, so I popped in just to see if they might have any in stock. No dice, but they did have that model on the table to play with. The watches look so much better with their various faces on, and in some cases the power-saving versions actually look better than full-color, fully-activated modes.

I’m on a Series 2, so I can’t help but think I’ve earned myself an upgrade now. The problem is that I get a yearly sum for stuff like this from work every year, and of course I spent it all. Ah well, January isn’t that far away.

1 Like

Put a link to this post on your calendar, January 1 :sunglasses::+1:t2:

Oh, I remember it every time I look at my watch – no apps needed :wink:

1 Like

Bowline,

I don’t think our forum allows for one-word responses or I’d type only “Wow!”

Figures that the coolest thing is also the most difficult to work with and most expensive (and those, not “in the know” might think it’s plastic or painted/coated metal!).

Thanks!

I’m not sure it allows us to register interest in a post - or I’d type ZERO words… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, if only there were some way to register interest… :grinning:

2 Likes

Ah. That’s sufficient, is it? Thanks!

1 Like