Apple, Why Can’t I….? 🤨

The stock apps have features aimed at beginners and non-technical users. They cannot have many more features as they already confuse the target market; my 75-year-old mum and non-techie wife both use the stock apps, and they already struggle with the number of features as it is. From a design perspective, adding features that only a tiny subset of users need makes no sense - the result would be a worse experience for the majority of the target user base.

For people who need power features, that’s the reason for the App Store - there are lots of amazing powerful alternatives that cater for all levels.

5 Likes

You can export Notes to HTML or Markdown with Exporter. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty good and getting steadily better. This is how I got 15 years of Apple Notes into Obsidian.

I share your frustration with Apple Notes. In many ways I like it better than Obsidian, but it just doesn’t quite cut it. (But oh my is search terrible in Obsidian).

I don’t think your requests are unreasonable. Not every user has to use every feature in an app. There are certainly some features currently supported in the apps that most people do not use, but they still make sense to be there. At least give the opportunity to use shortcuts to make this possible (e.g., get sharable link to Note).

What is a good working definition for Power User? This would probably be a good site to come up with that.

Power user is a relatively recent term. But I would consider any self starter that learns the limits of their computer and software as a power user.

IMO only someone who is very familiar with their existing hardware/software can determine what, if anything, else they need to do their job.

A productive computer user that rarely calls the help desk? :wink:

1 Like

The term came up in a legal matter I’m familiar with, and the working definition there was that a power user is a hobbyist (and they may use the hobby at work.)

I think the iWork suite (ie Pages, Numbers and Keynote) is superior to the MS counterpart. Better price, better looking and easier to use.

With that said, there are some other apps and functions that need to be better, but all in all, everything is really good.

/$0.02

1 Like

Currently there are over a million companies using MS Office and virtual all of them will send quotes and contracts, etc. in MS formats. The main problem I’ve found with iWork is its limited ability to coexist in a Microsoft Office dominated world.

Numbers is simpler than Excel for new learners.

But it’s simpler in the same way that using mittens is simpler for playing the piano because you don’t have to worry about all those separate fingers.

4 Likes

Well, I don’t agree. And here’s the reason: 90% of the users don’t use all functions that Excel and Word offers. It’s true that Excel is more powerful than Numbers, but still – I haven’t had any Office application installed for five years now and only once have I had problems with a formula from an Excel user.

Ie, according to my experience the normal user use spreadsheets to create basic calculations. Only a few percent use the more advanced functions.

Same goes with Word, but to be honest I do all my design work in Indesign. However, Pages is more than enough for most people.

It’s the same with Google docs – it can easily replace the MS suite. And they both are free.

This is of course according to my experience (being an IT consultant since the mid 90’s and have met a lot of different user types), and not a fact. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That was my experience also. Most users at the three companies where I worked used the Add, Subtract, Multiply, and Divide functions. And the ability and link to other spreadsheets.

We installed LibreOffice/OpenOffice on all our computers and configured them to save files in Microsoft formats. About 10% of our users needed Microsoft Office and a few of them could only use the Windows version.

1 Like

I’m sure the bean counters in Accounting had complex spreadsheets. I know they were BIG and there was tens of thousands stored on our servers. They and a few others used Microsoft Office. The majority of our users worked in sales and customer service and only used a handful of simple spreadsheets. We gave them LibraOffice/OpenOffice and configured it to save in MS formats.

We were in the process of moving to Google Workspace when I retired so the LO users may be using Sheets today.

1 Like

In the early 2000’s I read an article that mentioned some of the hardware/software Apple was using at that time.

As I recall it was the same you would find at any large company. Microsoft Office, IBM midrange computers, UNIX/Linux servers, and even some MS Windows.

2 Likes