Apple's antitrust issues vs. Epic Games (Fortnite)

Oh, my bad. :see_no_evil:

Bingo.

(Big corporation) “Apple is so horrible! Think of those poor developers, sweating away in their garages, trying to eke out a living from this oppressive Apple app store!”
(Apple) “Okay. (Gives the poor developers, sweating away in their garages, a 15% discount).”
(Big corporation) “DISCRIMINATION! Where’s our 15% discount?”
(Apple) “We’re thinking of the poor developers, sweating away in their garages, like you asked.”
(Big corporation) “That’s not the point.”

:slight_smile:

I don’t believe there’s any real altruism on Apple’s part here, and I don’t believe that there’s really any true altruism on the part of Epic, Spotify, etc. That all said though, I think Apple’s decision was a very brilliant tactical move. And the fact that it most benefits the people that (arguably) most need it is a nice touch.

2 Likes

Haha! Spot on! :confetti_ball:

and became the scapegoat (or the sacrificial victim? :thinking:) , since I don’t believe he wasn’t backed by his BOD…

1 Like

Yeah, he definitely isn’t being backed up.

1 Like

I cannot even… :man_facepalming:

Starting to look like desperation…

Bit late joining this conversation, but I don’t see Apple’s move changing the legal position very much. The fundamental position is whether or not Apple exercises a monopoly over sales of iOS apps (clearly yes) and whether or not that is illegal (moot point in both US and EU). By halving it’s rates in such a bizarre manner Apple have in essence publicly stated that it was rent seeking; 30% was excessive for the service provided. This reinforces the argument that iOS developers should be able to sell direct or via an alternative distribution channel of their choice in the same manner as macOS developers can.

1 Like

Everything I’ve heard is that Apple giving the discount to small devs impacts Apple’s revenue in an incredibly trivial way.

It’s almost so small as to not be a concession at all, so it doesn’t feel like an admission of anything to me. It does feel like a pretty good PR win though, IMHO.

1 Like

Stupidity in its purest form… :roll_eyes:

Since an emoji with rolleyes was too short for twenty characters, he decided to go for the description instead.

2 Likes

How low can Epic Games go?

1 Like

It depends. If they’re using Apple’s Maps then it may take a while…

4 Likes

If they’re using the iOS 6 version of Apple Maps, they’ll never find him. If they use a newer version of Apple Maps, they’ll find him very quickly.

1 Like

Even more people will be required to testify!

Tim Sweeney is a hypocrite.

While browsing the web, I randomly came across a related discussion. It will make you laugh. :laughing:

In what way? Just curious… :thinking:

If you do not like their walled garden ecosystem, why not buy an Android smartphone? What about those that like the security and integration?

2 Likes

Just to keep everyone open to date, anyone with an interest in the UK iOS App Store (ie developers selling into the UK, UK consumers or competitors to Apple operating in the UK) can submit comments to the Competition and Markets Authority; it’s investigation is here Investigation into Apple AppStore - GOV.UK .

The CMA is the UK’s competition regulator under the Competition Act 1998. This has similar scope to current EU legislation, but with the UK having now left the EU is entirely separate.

Despite very much liking the walled garden, I agree. Apple seems so petty at times, the scrutiny they are under is partly of their own making.

(However I want Epic to fail spectacularly and Tim Sweeney to join Peter Molyneux wherever he is)