Apps still not optimized for Apple Silicon

I was wondering what are the apps you use, that still are not optimized for Apple Silicon (M1).

My list :

• OneDrive (installed, running Ok)
  • ScanSnap Home (installed, running Ok)
  • Spotify (there’s a M1 compatible beta)
  • Logitech options (postponed the installation, waiting for optimized version)
  • Sonos (postponed the installation, waiting for optimized version)
  • Banktivity 7 (won’t be optimized, looking for alternative)

These are all the ones that I have installed, and therefore use at least occasionally.

The ones marked with a * are the ones that I use often enough for it to be annoying.

• Dropbox (Seriously? Still?)
  • Typinator*
  • Dropbox *
  • Elgato Control Center*
  • Dropbox
  • Dropbox
  • Stream Deck*
  • Horcrux*
  • Dropbox Finder Extension
  • Growl (R.I.P.)
  • Dropbox
  • Duet*
  • Dropbox Web Helper
  • Dropbox
  • Dropbox Activity Provider
  • Mountain
  • Dropbox
  • Encrypt Me*
  • Authy Desktop
  • calibre
  • Dropbox
  • Carrot Weather
  • CodeRunner*
  • Discord*
  • Fluid*
  • Dropbox
  • ImageOptim
  • iNet Network Scanner
  • Kaleidoscope
  • Levelator*
  • LibreOffice
  • Dropbox
  • LosslessCut*
  • Mailplane (R.I.P.)
  • Plex Media Server*
  • Reeder 5
  • Subtitles
  • Transmission
  • Webcam Settings

That’s a total of 27 (unique) apps, ~12 of which I use regularly.

There are 185 apps in my /Applications/ folder, just as a point of reference.

For those who don’t use it, the ‘joke’ here is that Dropbox runs a lot nf processes. Right now there are 12 separate Dropbox processes running on my Mac. They are all Intel. Dropbox has not said a single word about Apple Silicon compatibility yet.

7 Likes

@tjluoma not going on a tangent, I recommend using an open source Dropbox client client maestral

• M1 support
  • free
  • does not count towards Dropbox three device limit for free users
  • Multiple account support
  • regularly updated and built on Python

Cons:

• does not support management of shared folders. Not an issue for me because I just go on Dropbox.com for this.
4 Likes

Huh… interesting.

Some of the people on Dropbox forums (who keep shouting into the void, asking for some official info on M1-support) talked about this, but I hadn’t actually tried it.

But I will now.

Thanks for the nudge.

I purged my Dropbox down to the point where I can fit everything easily within my free 25GB or so, and allowed my subscription to lapse. Experimenting with using iCloud for more things, since I’m paying for it anyway. We’ll see how it goes.

@tjluoma I have a large overlap with your list. Reeder 5.08 should be universal by now. As is Transmission 20.04

I promoted Dropbox to my Synology NAS and use CloudSync to keep it up to date.

On my and between my Macs I use Synology Drive to replicate the must have folders between Synology and computer.

Works perfect and near real time … Synology is not native on M1 but it doesn’t create the bloat that Dropbox does, thus a win.

1 Like

cool! Learn something new here every day!

Thanks, @MereCivilian. Will definitely give this a try.

@tjluoma there is a M1 version for LibreOffice. You can download it from here.

Oh! Thank you! I just downloaded it a few weeks ago, I must have missed that.

I don’t know why, but if you use the official link on their website you get the Intel version. I saw that and then I Googled “M1 version LibreOffice” and got that link.

1 Like

So many apps,. so little time…!

I laughed when I saw your list :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.
That’s was one of the reasons I stopped using Dropbox.

Since I already pay for Office/Microsoft 365, I migrated everything to OneDrive and now have only one file sync service running in the system.
In terms of sync, Dropbox is still the best but OneDrive does a pretty good job too.
Microsoft promised a M1 version for later this year.

iCloud is a no go for me. I really can’t work with all those apps folders in the root directory, and I still don’t trust it to reliably sync files and folders.

I am mostly putting things in my ~/Documents/ folder rather than the “iCloud Drive” folder.

Not sure that I trust it yet, but we’ll see. It seems to either work fine for people, or not… I just have to find out which one I am.

Holy crap, Maestral is 1000x better than the official Dropbox app!

I’ve removed the official app from my MacBook Air and my Mac mini.

Thanks for the heads-up!

2 Likes

Please, when you try it, post your impressions here in the forum.

Very good to know. That’s why I like talk.mpu so much, always discovering new things!