April 2021 Event Thread!

Sigh. I’d love to replace the Roku I have on my living room TV (I had to move the ATV to the home office for work reasons), and have all my streaming boxes be ATVs.

Had Apple priced the new ATV competitively with Roku, I’d have been very tempted. But with prices the same as the previous generation, I can’t justify it.

1 Like

With all the other goodness unveiled today, the ATV is at the bottom of my “wanna have” list.

1 Like

Will be interesting to see whether the new remote can work with the existing ATV boxes. Hey, one can dream!

1 Like

Totally fair!

I’m just well enough equipped with other relatively recent Apple gear that the ATV was the only item that even had a possibility of being justifiable. :sunglasses:

Nice pricing on the iPads! Who would have thought :wink:

1 Like

Now if they’d only have it run macOS!
Because I think the iPad is the best touch laptop Apple could make

4 Likes

:-1: :laughing:

Different beasts for different worlds.

1 Like

Maybe, maybe not. Dont think the hybrid is that far off

Someone will hack that chip with macOS – a hackenpad probably

1 Like

I am genuinely hoping this machine never exists, unless it keeps both environments entirely separate.

1 Like

No HomePods. Sigh.

3 Likes

Consumer Mac transition to the M1: :ballot_box_with_check:

Pro Mac transition to the Mx: WWDC? :blush:

1 Like

Not so sure, the architecture is now 100% the same. An AppleOS mobile/desktop might be somewhere in the not too distant future.

Would be interesting, so far they’ve not let me down (too much (looking at you trashcan))

I’m not in the ‘tool for the job’ camp anymore. I’m just wondering what they come up with, and think we’ll be surprised. And that’s exciting in itself :slight_smile:
It’s a bit like the early iPhone days, a lot is still going to happen!

Bring it on!

2 Likes

Oh don’t make me dream…
I don’t want to get my hopes up, but still, after such an announcement, I am betting on an all-software WWDC (with maybe a glasses announcement).

1 Like

I agree - they focussed on how the power that they have in the ATV allows them to do all these fancy things, but are those things real differentiators from running the AppleTV app on either your TV or your FireTV stick? Nothing they announced would justify the expense for me at least.

3 Likes

Feels like the new big iMac will be called iMacPro. They kept calling the new 24" one just iMac as if there was only one iMac.

I think that whatever the big all is one is called, it will not just be iMac or iMac 30 or whatever. iMacPro seems most likely. Maybe even a different name but that seems less likely.

3 Likes

Could be. Maybe with a Pro XDR display built in? :flushed:

1 Like

Twen-ty four inch… :rofl:

It’s 2021!

And not only the screen size is more like 2005…

1 Like

Maybe you’re looking for a 60" iMac? :laughing:

Doing the majority of fabrication on a silicon wafer, and removing many components dedicated to cooling, assembly costs must we way down. Add in not buying chips from Intel, AMD, Samsung or whomever for RAM & SSD, plus numerous support chips, cables, connectors, tiny printed circuit boards, etc.

Apple must be making a killing on M1 machines!

4 Likes