April 2021 Event Thread!

I would’ve settled for the exact same iPad Mini design with a spec bump to whatever “current” is in the A line.

Although if processor upgrades are so easy that a finance guy like Tim Cook can basically use tweezers to just drop an M1 into an iPad socket…I’d help Apple simplify their processor lineup and accept an M1. :wink:

2 Likes

This would be true to form for Apple, but…

[quote=“anon85228692, post:108, topic:22915”]
You need that secure enclave.
[/quo’e]

… probably not because of this. The secure enclave that contains the fingerprint to idenity mapping only has to reside on the keyboard. The Mac only has to query the keyboard asking if it’s you, and then act accordingly if the keyboard verifies it. That’d be similar to how the Watch unlocks Macs without any secure enclave.

That seems a little too vulnerable.

The presenter mentioned end-to-end encryption, so I would think the bio details are stored in the Mac, where the comparison would be made.

In what sense too vulnerable?

It works in landscape but it looks weird to the other party if you don’t look at the camera on the left edge of your iPad. And when you do that you can’t concentrate on what’s happening. Kinda takes a lot of the pro out of iPad Pro.

I’m guessing that 10Gb ethernet will be on the upper-end iMacs (? 30 or 32 in?) later this year. The current 27" iMacs offer 10Gb ethernet as a $100 option.

I can say that for me, there’s no comparison between the iPhone and the iPad Mini. The iPad Mini is big enough to be substantially more useful, while not having the bulk of the 11.

1 Like

worst feature in the new imac: power brick that gets to dangle off the desk or lay on the floor

I like the design better than the “wall wart” type design, personally. As long as the cable is long enough (I think they said it was 6 feet?) it wouldn’t be a problem for me.

The ones that bother me are the ones where the cable is short to the point where it actually has to dangle.

It reminds me of the ADC cable on my old Apple studio monitor (power + video).

That probably works differently. At the moment, some features (like using the Watch to unlock some functionalities, like 1Password) only exist from the T2 upwards. So there must be something.

I can’t help but think we do not have the full story of the iPad Pros with the M1 chip at the moment. Surely Apple is aware of iPadOS’ limitations and yet is selling an absolute beast with 2 Tb of storage and 16 Gb of RAM. I think there’s a lot in store for it at WWDC. Could there be some compatibility with Mac apps like we see in reverse at the moment? A dual boot mode? I don’t think either of these are the answer but it would be a truly missed opportunity if there was not something more going on.

5 Likes

On a 24 inch computer? It surely would have made it more future-proof. But let’s be honest, very few people who’ll buy this iMac will have 10Gbe in the foreseeable future.

Apple is increasingly moving towards being a lifestyle brand.

Apple is increasingly moving towards being a lifestyle brand.

Please, not this again.
Either this has always been the case from the days of the iPod (those ads were selling you a lifestyle before a product) and colored iMacs, or this is a “the sky is falling, Apple does not do pro computers anymore” prediction which has been completely untrue for a while now.

The new consumer computer chip blows everything out of the water performance-wise and rivals entry-level Mac Pros with incredible battery life. We’ll see how the workstations fare, and all signs point to them being awesome. I promise I’ll revisit the “tech you were wrong about” thread if I’m wrong. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Yes I would also like to know whether we can buy them single e.g. for other Apple devices. Furthermore I would be interested about the sizes, as I stll have the great Keyboard Tray from Bullettrain Express for my Magic Keyboard and Trackpad 2.

From what I’ve read from Rene Ritchies’s Twitter account, the new magic keyboard works as a normal bluetooth keyboard (no touch id, unfortunately).

1 Like

All the simulated video calls, etc. in the presentation had the iPad in portrait as best I could tell.

1 Like

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I was thinking about my experience with the current iPads.

The further away the subject is from the camera the less it matters where the lens is mounted. I’m not sure how much the new follow feature can help on the typical “zoom call”.

1 Like

Good news!

3 Likes

Hopefully this means that they will sell the keyboards separately this year. I love using my M1 MBA with a separate monitor.