Aqara Smart Video Doorbell G4

I’ve had a Ring Doorbell for a few years, but the battery lasts hardly any time now, and it doesn’t integrate with HomeKit.

I’d been thinking of replacing it with the newer Ring Doorbell with swappable battery, but recently saw the Aqara Smart Video Doorbell G4 which supports Homekit - it looks to have some neat features too

https://www.aqara.com/en/product/smart-video-doorbell-g4

Has anyone got any experience with these?

1 Like

Found this review - interesting

No experience but following this thread with interest

1 Like

Me too.

20 characters

Hoping either one of you gents will blink first and buy one and then tell me how difficult it is to install.

4 Likes

I love having more HomeKit options, but this thing looks HUGE compared to my Ring Pro doorbell. Also, the horizontal view doesn’t appear to be a good fit for my use. Guess we’ll see how it goes.

Trouble is you can’t actually buy the thing in the UK. Sold out.

Looks to be available in Australia - I’ve currently got the old Ring 1st Gen so it looks like I might pull the trigger. Can’t see Ring ever supporting HomeKit / Matter, although some people have got it working to a fashion with a bridge.

Will be away for 2 weeks after today so will get it after the 17th April and let you know.

There’s some good reviews on YouTube already like this one

Looks like Amazon have them in stock at the moment. Just noticed today:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aqara-Doorbell-Included-Recognition-Automations/dp/B0BPHTL7MG/?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=pd_wlh&pd_rd_w=oQoCm&content-id=amzn1.sym.cabd30d9-5895-4203-abbd-74e3b5d9e611&pf_rd_p=cabd30d9-5895-4203-abbd-74e3b5d9e611&pf_rd_r=7P73TRP0ZHC0G49M4K09&pd_rd_wg=iFNln&pd_rd_r=456fad6f-eba3-45c9-8163-05ace3b24839&vas={'vw'%3A'B07F2MRHRN'}

1 Like

just ordered it this moment :slight_smile: delivered tomorrow.

Read that the software got massive improvements, so looking forward to install it

Hello everyone! Any updates re the G4?

It seems to be the only doorbell apple srocks in new zealand.

And I think i want one.

We’ve had one for about 9 months and really like it. We haven’t had a video doorbell before. It was easy to install and set up with HomeKit. After the supplied batteries ran out after several months, I replaced them with rechargeable Eneloop batteries and they work well for a couple of months at a time. The field of view covers the front of our place well but some will want more of an up and down view (mostly for packages) - I haven’t tried mounting it horizontally. The HomeKit face recognition, recording, intercom and alerts work as intended and there hasn’t been errors or dropouts other than if I ignored low battery notifications or the few times it got too hot in (direct) Australian sun - it gave a notification and resumed when it cooled down; only the black colour is available for sale here. We’re planning on a bit more shelter out the front soon and I might run some DC power to it, which would fix those minor issues. I think it looks nice, no one has been confused about how to use it and the price was good compared to other options (and there’s still really nothing else with this feature set). Thumbs up from me.

1 Like

We’ve had a similar experience to @akerr.

Bought it in the middle of November, easy to physically install and add to Apple Home.

It’s great for when I’m at my desk and a courier rings the bell, I can tell them I’m coming and they don’t run off.

Using HomePods as the ringer is great as we have 4 in the house. It’s saved us a couple of plug sockets where we had to plug in ringers for the old doorbell.

The field of view is WIDE but not high vertically, that’s not a problem for me.

You can also block out areas (like next door’s front door) to stop receiving motion notifications.

The one thing I’d say (and I’ve not looked into this properly) is that the rest of the family don’t seem to be able to look at the videos stored on iCloud whereas I can.

1 Like

Ring finally died so I’ve ordered the Aqara - will report once I have it

5 Likes