Are there any new email apps out there? (Early 2022 edition)

+1 for Airmail even tho it is not new, with the bug fixes it feels that way.

I have been a long time complainer about Airmail, but the dev has cleaned up most of the annoyances and bugs. The imap push notification is still crap but the automation and sharing actions are fantastic.

2 Likes

ryan

your devonthink actions in Airmail: do they save plain text or eml? universal link or airmail link? can you share some retail? thx?

I haven’t used them in a while —mostly I share airmail:// links these days.

But I can tell you that Airmail has a built-in DEVONthink integration, and that’s what those actions were built onto. The integration shares the contents of the email as a plain text file into the DEVONthink global inbox.

So far, Postbox’s setup has been the easiest I’ve encountered.
It detected the Exchange settings for my Uni account, set server names, ports, etc. All I had to do was with to OAuth2 (Office 365), and I was in business.

Same with my Dreamhost-hosted account that uses my own domain name. It detected the correct server settings, and all I had to do was click Ok.

Most impressive.

I watched all their videos, and I think Tags will be one of the killer features because they span folders, and include Sent, Archive, etc. So many mail programs assume you would only want to see messages you’ve received, and also in the folder you’re currently looking at (super lame).

Also - actions on email are a single keystroke! Why, Outlook, do I have to press ⌃E to archive a message when E wasn’t doing anything anyway?

So my impression of Postbox so far is it is made by people who use it themselves.

3 Likes

Devonthink’s integration script of regular Mail is much superior to Airmail’s integration. If importing rich text/HTML emails with attachments in native format is desired, Mail is the best option at this point.

2 Likes

I’m really digging Canary Mail, almost to the extent that it is THE mail application that I use daily… built-in encryption, mail tracking, they finally cleaned up some of the formatting issues… they need separate signature lines (I use text expander for the signatures), but otherwise, I kinda like it

1 Like

This is why I keep coming back to Mail. I can archive important email messages in Devonthink and clean them out of Mail altogether.

1 Like

What do you use on the backend?

Thanks for mentioning PostBox – I’ve been using it for the past couple days and I like it.

1 Like

TwoBird https://www.twobird.com/ both Mac and iPhone is my current driver.

From the folks at notability.

2 Likes

I’m using Mailmate with three Office 365 without any problems. I had with the initial setup but after I filled in the correct server settings it worked.

If you have still problems just write benny, he is very helpful!

1 Like

I recall Apple introduced extensions for Mail, but I haven’t heard of any.

1 Like

I’ve tested a lot of Email clients on Mac and iOS recently because I had some hick ups with Apple’s Mail.app.

@Mail.app:
I loved Mail.app so far but if you are using more than iCloud standard IMAP addresses it is hit and miss if it will work. Mail is not good in handling everything Microsoft. But this isn’t Apple’s fault. Exchange or Microsoft IMAP is the worst. I don’t know who is working on Exchange but they don’t really care about anything outside of Microsoft at all. IMHO.
First they stripped away the possibility to choose your own default folders. Then they probably decided to hire some of the cheapest translators on this world because if English is not your native language you will probably have two archive, sent, spam folders or more. Because they don’t seem to use any standard at all Mail.app looks for a international “archive”, doesn’t find one and creates it. Microsoft, settings set to German language already has an “Archiv” folder. Lots of people are complaining about this. Not long ago you could simply fix this by pointing to the right folder in the settings. This isn’t possible anymore.
Now Microsoft decided to hardcode into their servers that every sent mail has to be saved onto the server. If you have any other client besides Mail.app or Outlook then every sent mail will be saved twice and they also stripped the possibility to disable this.

@Outlook:
A lot of people are suggesting using Outlook for Exchange. If you are on a Mac or on iOS I wouldn’t recommend it. Outlook is so inconsistent that on Windows, iOS and Mac they always feel like a completely different program. The search function is the worst on the market and especially the Mac version is subpar to anything else. It reminds me on flash apps.
Outlook on iOS was outsourced by Microsoft. A lot of people like it but it had privacy and security issues in the past.

@Airmail:
Using Airmail, for me, is like being in a candy store. There is so much going on. Too much. I prefer a more subtile look. And it isn’t as reliable as Mail.app.

@Spark:
I like Spark and I like Readdle apps in general. But Spark is collecting a lot of data. I haven’t a good feeling about this, no matter how much I trust them.

@Postbox:
I like Postbox. It works. It has a good documentation and it’s fast. It has the best implementation of tags. Postbox will work on Windows, it will work on Mac. But, as others have stated, it has no native app for Apple silicon. After two years. Even some single devs have working betas right now. They don’t answer mails or tweets about it since early 2021. I have a license since 2015 or so. They seem to get out a new version periodically every now and then, are super responsive for some time and then they go silent till they get out the next version.

@Mailmate:
This is the mail client I liked from the start. It just works. I would even say it is similar to Mail.app but without the bling and with a ton of functions under the hood. But instead of shoving them into your face like Airmail does, you have to learn them in the help file. Mailmate works fine with Microsoft accounts and it is a very polished and it is lightning fast, at least on my M1 Macbook Air.
It uses more RAM than Mail.app but way less battery. I really like it so far. Yes, there is no official release for over one year but it has just 1 dev and there are several betas over the last year. And the beta is running without a flaw. If you look at the bug reporting site, Benny is answering all questions, even in longer threads. I got a reply on my question by email within a day.

5 Likes

Thanks! There are a few issues why I cannot use MailMate for some Office 365 accounts:

1. Policies prevent the use of other applications apart from Outlook and Apple Mail. This is also the reason why Airmail won’t work;
  2. POP and IMAP are prevented from use by forcing policies;
  3. Using an app-password is disabled.

As far a I know it is impossible to workaround these issues unfortunately. I’m glad I was able to get approval to use Fantastical for my calendar, and I’m still glad they allow Apple Mail. I now mostly use the Outlook web client for work and use Apple Mail for personal, associations and foundations I work on in my personal time. I could use MailMate for everything but work e-mail, which I’m thinking about trying.

Is MailMate still actively developed and supported? Because after checking the website the latest version has been in Beta for a long time now.

1 Like

Oh I see, so your company limits the use of other clients. Does it lock oauth2, too? Because I use my company’s Office 365 with oauth2. The password didn’t work either.

I would use the webclient, too, if Mailmate wouldn’t work. I’m done with this MS crap.

Yes, it is still actively developed, but by just one person. He is very helpful and eager to do everything right. This is reflected by the app. He keeps as close to standards as possible.
Look into the issue tracker:
https://freron.lighthouseapp.com/projects/58672-mailmate/overview

Yes, it is in Beta, because he seems to be a perfectionist. For what I’ve seen the beta is more stable than Outlook for Mac ever was…

4 Likes

oauth2 is permitted, but after authentication I get an popup to request the application te be approved by an admin.

2 Likes

@ryanjamurphy Have you found your “mythical app” yet? :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve been trying AirMail again and so far I really like it. I can’t seem to figure out how to sync rules between the desktop and iOS versions. But I also haven’t perused the manual.

I liked Spark for a bit, but returned to Apple Mail for simplicity. I may return again but I like the expanded rules in AirMail.

Hah. Well, after this thread, I was fiddling with Airmail’s settings and… I actually managed to take some of the cludginess out.

It had a lot of bells and whistles—especially in Appearance—that made the UX of the app clunky. After I slimmed it down (see the settings for Appearance I’m now using, below), the app seems to work a little faster.

It’s much cleaner-looking to boot:

So some of my qualms with it have been alleviated.

It’s still glitchy at times, sadly. (At least, I don’t think Send Later works at all, if the eight messages I just found in that box that were supposed to have been sent a week ago are any indication…)

But as long as I’m willing to tolerate a bit of buggery in order to get customizable actions, I think it’s the only app for me.

2 Likes

It really is true that the British and the Americans are divided by a common language…:joy:

Here in Aus my British pronunciation of the word ‘router’ as ‘rooter’ provoked endless hilarity, as rooter means something quite different here…

3 Likes