Are there even viable alternatives to iCloud or cloud in general?

I disagree. IMO, the problem isn’t a matter of trusting Apple. The problem is Apple has built a tool that virtually every government in the world has been wanting.

In the past when the FBI, for example, would come to Apple saying “we want you to let us monitor this person’s communications” Apple could say “we do not have the ability to do that”.

Now they do have the technology to do that and soon it will be on everyone’s iPhone. It seems very likely that it will only take one warrant from a judge to force Apple to change the parameters and have someone’s iMessages send to the Feds instead of a parent.

6 Likes

I’ve asked @RosemaryOrchard and / or @ismh to close this conversation, since I did not intend it to go this way at all.

My personal feeling is one of utter disappointment that a company I trusted and hoped would provide a safe haven for its users would hold out just a little longer.

I knew this day would come, and dreaded it for a long time.

With iOS 15 and macOS Monterey nothing you do is private anymore. The tools to breach your privacy are now built in, no matter what the moralistic excuse is.

I will look for other options to keep me and my family safe and secure, and hope at some point Apple sees sense and once again fights for our privacy.

For now, please do not reply to this thread anymore. It’s not meant for argument, and not helping us all move the dial forward.

Thanks all for now, and enjoy the day!

7 Likes

I always thought they just straight up refused to help the FBI (even though Apple was perfectly capable of doing so).

1 Like