Are you using Covid Exposure notifications or a contact tracing app?

A pop-up on my iPhone reminded me about the Covid exposure notifications built into iOS. I have forgotten about it since I have limited contact with people outside of my family. I’ve been wondering with the increase in rates in the US, that once there are vaccines, that it might make sense to continue contact tracing.

• Yes
  • No
  • No, because of the technology
  • No, because of the government

0 voters

Here’s a transcript from Security Now that talks about the generic implementation

I’ve only included a snippet.

Steve: Yeah. Okay. So what we know is that Apple and Google have engineers, crypto people; have gotten together and designed something which they are immediately implementing. I think they’re working, both of them, on putting this into APIs on their respective platforms, to which applications can be written. But they’ve also said that, because they recognize that the potential need for contact tracing is not going away anytime soon, they intend to, as soon as they can, submerge this technology into the underlying OS, so contact tracing with this design will be part of both iOS and Android moving forward. So what I want to do is first explain exactly what the technology is, exactly how it works. And then, Leo, you and I will discuss the implications and upsides and downsides and spoofing and all the other things.

Not available in Kansas, unfortunately.

1 Like

Didn’t realize it was state dependent.

1 Like

It’s more of a public sickness authority then.

Also not available in Georgia.

3 Likes

Lol.

Here’s an article about state apps

I’m highlighting this

How do I get coronavirus exposure alerts where I live?
As of Dec 10, 18 U.S. states and territories, plus D.C., support coronavirus exposure alerts. For instructions, click on the link next to each region — that will take you to a website made by local health authorities:

3 Likes

I’ve been using Delaware’s contact tracing app since the day it was released. So far I haven’t received any alerts from the app but I often open it to see the latest stats from the Department of Health. As of today, only 83,087 people have downloaded the app.

1 Like

In the UK, I turned it off.

1. It killed the battery life on an iPhone 11, especially when sat at home.
  2. For entirely selfish reasons, which I realise isn’t great. I was expecting the birth of my daughter (who is likely to be our one and only child) when it was released in the UK and if I had to self isolate could have meant I would have missed the birth, something I (and especially my wife!) didn’t want to happen.

As I’ve not really been out and about since then with a two month old, I’ve not turned it back on.

I don’t use tracing because I live in a state that hasn’t implemented it, despite it being populous and in the news about COVID early and often. I’ll save my thoughts about this for another type of forum.

3 Likes

California just enabled it last Tuesday, I flipped it on right away - haven’t seen any battery drainage beyond normal (though was expecting that).

1 Like

It’s not available in Indiana — despite our numbers being pretty bad.

1 Like

Congrats on the baby! Please be safe.

Yea I’m in Cali and that’s how I learned about it. I’m headed back to Texas next week and it’s not available there

1 Like

I have it installed and enabled but British Columbia (along with Alberta) isn’t taking advantage of it.

1 Like

No because it isn’t available in Louisiana yet.

1 Like

It killed the battery life on my iPhone X too.

I looked at the criteria that our state is using for exposure. It’s “coming within six feet of another person for a total of at least 15 minutes over the course of 24 hours.” I haven’t done that since March for anyone except my wife. I’m pretty sure that she’ll tell me if she’s diagnosed as infected so for me the notifications currently serve no useful purpose. If/when that changes I will turn them on again.

1 Like

Yes, using it since the first day it was released in the App Store in my country.

Small contribution to solving a big problem (I think I make a bigger contribution by working from home and limiting contacts with other people).

I was afraid of battery usage (the battery in my iPhone X “needs maintenance”), but it uses “only” 3-5% per day.

Yes I have enabled it. I live in California. There has been no change to battery drain on an iPhone 8 Plus.

Not available where I live… :frowning:

It’s available in Connecticut now, but not Massachusetts, which is where I work. It could have come in handy when a co-worker had Covid a few weeks ago.