Are you using Covid Exposure notifications or a contact tracing app?

Yes, exactly. For crying out loud Massachusetts! :roll_eyes:

No, I don’t see any benefit for myself. And the app is wonky at best.

I noticed that Exposure Notifications was using 53% of the battery, proportionate to all apps. I turned off Exposure Notification.

1 Like

Mine’s at 6%; your other apps are slacking :slight_smile:

Or I’m staying in a very dangerous place :hotsprings:

1 Like

Mine is at 3%. It’s probably because so haven’t moved around.

Mine was about the same. I wonder why people are having such different experiences here.

Remember that the battery utilization report is relative to all other applications. On one extreme, an impossible case just for sake or example, if the phone did nothing else for 24 hours except for one Covid exposure check, then relative to all other apps Exposure Notification would be using 100% of that day’s battery drain. It doesn’t mean the app drained the battery from full to empty.

I understand that. But when I estimate the utilization over a day I come up with a number that’s about a third of my overall battery. That’s 6X to 10X at least one of the other daily utilizations estimated above. I know these are mostly hand waving estimates but that’s still a huge difference.

Does the battery drain depend on the amount of people in an area that it is checking to possibly have COVID-19? All those iPhones and Android phones are communicating to each other with information after all.

…and of all the places that need it, too! (My brother lives in Topeka, so I am following the news closely)

1 Like

Not available in Texas, yet…

That’s an interesting question. Yesterday, when the phone reported that Exposure Notifications used 53% of the battery relative to other applications, the log reported only one “Exposure Check” all day. Which itself was surprising since I was indoors all day and the check occurred at night when I was alone.

Maybe, you weren’t alone …

1 Like

It’s possible! I was in a public space yesterday for a few hours and my percentage was at 8%. It’s the highest I have seen it.

3% live in a semi-rural county (75,000 people) if that makes any difference

It doesn’t seem to effect battery. Most days when I’m at work (in Massachusetts) I’m at 2%. I have seen it as low as 1%. Yesterday, I was hiking with a group of 13 and it was at 4% last night. Today, I was bowling with two other people then went to BJs. I’m at 7% percent now.

Yeah, mine is similar. I’m in Connecticut and I enabled Exposure Notifications as soon as they were available (even though I work from home now). It hasn’t affected the battery on my iPhone XS, its usually in the 2-4% range of battery activity across all my apps.

I live in Connecticut too and did the same. I wish Massachusetts had it.

Seems to not drain as much in New England. Might have to due with the lower COVID cases we have here. :wink:

Yes, so so much… :weary: