Auto delete specific email in Apple Mail?

I subscribe to several online periodicals (NY Times, Washington Post, NPR News, etc.) and I don’t always have time to read them everyday. I’d love to find a way to automatically delete these, and other particular email that I don’t have a need for at the end of the day. Is anyone aware of an automated means by which to either move these emails to a specific folder or delete them, without my interaction?

Cheers!

I believe you can do this by creating a rule in Apple Mail.

Yes…but depending on your email provider it will probably be better to do this using server-side rules.

Agreed. There is a robust system for setting up rules in Apple Mail on the Mac but the iCloud server side rules feature is more limited.

:stuck_out_tongue:

@DEVONtech_Jim, yep, creating simple rules like this are easy, but there’s not specific trigger? This will delete the email upon arrival, which isn’t what I want. I’d like to it to delete all emails from “email@washingtonpost.com” at a scheduled time, like midnight. I don’t believe that Apple’s rules allow for a timed application of the rule.

SaneBox can auto-delete email after:

• 1 day
  • 3 days
  • 7 days
  • 14 days
  • 1 month
  • 2 months
  • 3 months

Works with any IMAP/Gmail/etc.

Fastmail has built-in options for auto-deletion of any non-Flagged emails after 1/2/3/7/14/31/60/90/180/365 days.

1 Like

What about using Calendar to trigger an Automator script (or AppleScript)? In Calendar, create an event to run daily at the desired time. Then, specify a custom alert to open a file such as an AppleScript or Automator. I don’t have a sample AppleScript handy. In Automator, you can find and filter mail items.

Use of Google can probably fill in the blanks for you. Or, head over to Automators forums and there are good folks that can help.

Scott

1 Like

Can you still trigger AppleScript with calendar? I thought that went away a few years ago, but I never do it, so I might be wrong.

I don’t normally do this either. If you export the AppleScript as an Application, then Calendar can execute it.