Back to stock apps after Big Sur / ios14 announcement?

I never really thought about that, since I was looking to replace Apple Notes, which also doesn’t pop out notes.

I think I’ve actually come to like the 3-pane metaphor in which you can hide the Folder and Note columns. It’s the same metaphor that Ulysses uses. (IA Writer has a similar metaphor but does allow one to pull documents out of the tabbed 3-pane interface in the same way you’d pull a tab out of a web browser window.)

To me one of the nicest things about SnipNotes is that you can see how many files are in each folder/group, and there’s an Inbox separate from All Files, which, unlike Apple Notes, makes it easy to see which notes are unfiled.

Apple Notes on the Mac can pop out, I think it’s just a double click, but also a menu item. One of my most used Shortcuts in Keyboard Maestro though, is to create a new note, pop it out and then hide the main Notes window.
I generally like three panes, but in split view it is too limiting.

1 Like

Ah okay, the strange ‘Float Selected Note,’ which retains the note in the 3-pane view put also pops out another version of the note. I never use that but I can see its utility.

I don’t ever feel the need to just work with a note in Apple Notes or SnipNotes, but in IA Writer and Ulysses it’s one key-command to hide the Library and Sheet columns.

The latest version of Fantastical will automatically parse the notes field of calendar items looking for links to video conferences on popular services (Zoom, WebEx, GoToMeeting, etc.). When the meeting time gets close, a “Join” button appears on the event in the app and in the menu bar on the Mac.

4 Likes

Simple, yet really useful. Thanks!

I got a notification saying that Microsoft Todo now supports printing a couple months ago. Haven’t investigated because I don’t need the feature right now.

Yes, the Mac app has no Print command in the File Menu, but they did recently add a weird “Print List” command in the three-dot menu inside the window. It’s better than nothing but you still cannot export a list.

Email: Apple Mail
Calendars: Apple Calendar on iPhone, Fantastical 2 on Mac.
Notes: Apple Notes, Evernote, Unclutter Notes , VS Code
Music: Apple Music App
Browser: Safari and Chrome
Task Manager: Omnifocus and Apple Reminders.
Contacts: Google Contacts(Web), Contacts+, Apple Contacts.
Photo Library: Apple Photos
Video Content: Plex Media Server
Office Apps: MS Office for Mac and Windows ( I have Windows Virtual Machine).

As far as upgrading, I’m going to hold off this time. I rushed into upgrades last time, and there were some unexpected consequences that I still regret. I’m more likely to upgrade to iOS 14 than Big Sur, but only if it doesn’t break compatibility with Mac versions of applications.

I have thought about booting new versions of MacOS from an external drive as a safety measure. It isn’t entirely safe as some applications, like Omnifocus, have a database that gets upgraded as part of the application upgrade, and that would be hard or even impossible to undo.

Regardless, I’m going to be very , very careful this time!

2 Likes

Hello,

I’m very interested: why do you use Apple Reminders and Omnifocus?

And the different notes apps? Different uses?

Personal email: Airmail
Calendars: Fantastical
Handwritten Notes: NoteShelf 2
Meeting Notes: Roam Research
Other notes/general text editing: Drafts
Code editing: Sublime Text
Tasks: ToDoist
Contacts: Cardhop
Calendars: Fantastical
Handwritten Notes: NoteShelf 2
Meeting Notes: Roam Research
Other notes/general text editing: Drafts
Code editing: Sublime Text
Tasks: ToDoist
Contacts: Cardhop
Office Apps: Microsoft Office 365 (Google Docs when I want to share with friends)

1 Like

I’m trying out task managers. Do you mind sharing the reason you chose Todoist instead of the Reminders app?