I’m fortunate that I can work remotely and I realized that my backup strategy doesn’t work remotely and could use some help in figuring out how to proceed.
- 2014 MBP with a 500 GB SSD
- Home Folder is about 250 GB
- Backblaze for cloud backup
- 500 GB Samsung T5 - that I create a bootable clone weekly by SuperDuper
- When I’m home, I backup to a synology and an 8 TB external hard drive with Time Machine and Arq. I haven’t setup VPN on the synology yet and I forgot to bring the external HDD with me. The external HDD is too big to travel
- I own Arq 5, SuperDuper, and ChronoSync.
- Time Machine or Arq v5? At home, I run both since I have the drive space.
- What’s the preferred drive size for Arq?
- With time machine, I know there’s a preferred drive size of 2 to 4 times the data being backed up. Thus a 500 GB to 1 TB would be a good size.
- I’m thinking of either the Samsung T5 1 TB SSD or the Seagate Backup Plus 2 TB Portable HDD. Both are small enough. I like the speed of the SSD. On the other hand, I like all the room of the HDD.
- I’ll partition either half of the drive for backups and then the rest for data.
What do y’all think?