Best long-term keyboard for RSI / wrist issues?

From personal experience, I can tell you that you can throw a ton of money down this particular hole without getting useful results.

With the standard caveat that I’m not a doctor, I can share some experience.

I have some significant wrist issues. In addition to seeing a PT and getting stretches/exercises to do, I’ve:

• Moved to a split keyboard. I have wider shoulders, and this allows me to maintain a better shoulder position.
  • Moved to a mechanical keyboard. Done at the same time as the first one, obviously, but I can customize key switches to eliminate some issues.
  • Moved to light key switches. I’m currently using Kailh Box Pink Silent (Kailh Box silent switches Pink/Brown – KBDfans® Mechanical Keyboards Store) because their key activation force (KAF) is very low. This makes it so my fingers don’t have to stress as hard pressing keys.
  • Got rid of the trackball. I’m back to using a Magic Trackpad 2 after some trackball-related experiments, and it’s much nicer since the force required to move a cursor or click is downright trivial.
  • Re-assessed my desk setup. No joke - bring your stuff in to your PT, have them find one of those height-adjustable medical tables, and get them to measure optimal heights, angles, everything. Then do that.

Ergo hardware isn’t cheap, but if you compare it to doctor bills and surgery it gets affordable pretty quick. And I can’t see how any of the keyboard or desk stuff above could possibly harm your ergonomics since the whole point is that you can adjust / customize to fit your needs.

Trackball / mouse / trackpad is a discussion to have with your PT.

Wishing you the best of luck!

4 Likes

There are settings in Accessibility for using facial gestures for left click, right click, etc.
I played with it today, eyebrow raise for left click, smile for right click. It’s pretty easy to get used to.

I have a pair of these, which help.

I’m still recovering from using an Apple mouse for a few weeks. I’m back to my Logi MX Vertical.

I’ve been looking at this, not sure how it works.

1 Like

No keyboard or pointing device is ergonomic in itself. Good ergonomics depends on the workstation setup. For seated typing, it is important to have the keyboard at the correct vertical position while your heels are on the floor or a footrest. For many people this means using a keyboard tray or keyboard drawer to get the keyboard lower than the desktop. Pointing device movements should not require stretching. Wireless devices allow you to position them where they best suit you without cables being an issue.

Please search for “ergonomic desk setup” and look at all the available pictures of a proper workstation setup. Just for example 7 Things You Need for an Ergonomically Correct Workstation | Wirecutter

I prefer low travel keyboards, and learned that I don’t have to hammer the keys. I use the much maligned Apple Magic Mouse and love it apart from the fact that it’s single-device. I would use an Apple keyboard if I only had to use one computer. Since that is not the case, I use Logitech multi way keyboards and mice. I have an Apple trackpad for my Mac, used with my non dominant hand. The only time I was ever worried about RSI was an afternoon when I had to do a repetitive task that involved a lot of large mouse movements when my mouse was on my desk, and too far away, probably due to too short cable. I quickly realized something was wrong and took action to get a better setup.

Best wishes for a more ergonomic working environment :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been adamant about using a trackball (Kensington ExpertMouse). Perhaps this is to my own detriment. My trackpad on my MBP is especially great using swiping motions.

The one change I made with a nod toward ergonomics is to tilt the trackball. I have a wedge under the inner (leftmost) edge (for right-hand work).

Just curious. Soon after you got rid of the trackball, did you find yourself saying … Well, this is better except for this (whatever this is). Or did you find yourself saying … Gosh, why did I wait this long?

JJW

Those Altoid tins come in very handy.

2 Likes

I have carpal tunnel. The trackpad on my MacBook Air really aggravates it. Do you think using a mouse every so often might provide some relief as you are using different muscles perchance?

Yep (as I sit with my nearly 15 year old, broken Goldtouch keyboard propped in the middle with Wintergreen)!

They also make great containers for USB sticks.

JJW

1 Like

That’s a terrific idea. I even like the mints.

The new Logitech Ergo Pro does this straight out of the box. It comes with a little wedge. :slight_smile:

I strongly prefer trackballs over mice, and I prefer the Magic Trackpad over Trackballs. The issue with almost every trackball is that, compared to the Magic Trackpad, the amount of force needed to move the pointer or click or whatever is too high. Plus, the design of most trackballs encourages your wrist to be in a pretty non-ergo-friendly position. The Magic Trackpad is always lower than my keyboard on my desk, so my wrist isn’t tempted to collapse as much when using it. Better ergonomically overall for me.

My only issue with the Magic Trackpad is the “flying pointer” that happens sometimes, usually at inopportune times. But compared to the issues trackballs cause me, I’m finding it’s the lesser of two evils.

Wouldn’t hurt to try - although I’d be tempted to go with a vertical mouse rather than a horizontal one. The “shaking hands” position seems to be better for most people than the flat one.

Does Apple make a vertical mouse, do you know? C

Nope. They’re relatively rare. Kensington makes one that I’ve heard is good, but no personal experience.

Thanks for the heads up! Can’t beat the price!

All (three) of my Kensingtons are now slightly tilted (self-made wedge) and have the wrist-rest on the front. I have the height (with my keyboards) at a level that keeps my arms relaxed. What I find nice about the trackball is that, once my wrist is positioned (snuggly) on the wrist rest, I am just moving my fingers for actions.

Perhaps, should opportunity arise, I will try changing out the trackball for a MagicPad just to experience the difference. Too bad Apple stores do not have a “try before you buy” program.

Thanks for the follow up.

JJW

1 Like

Yeah, a slight tilt and the wrist rest will do wonders. :slight_smile:

I’ve had a lot of trackballs with no useful wrist rest, and during use my wrist wound up dropping significantly below my fingers, which caused some nerve pinching. Now the force to move the trackball (compared to Magic Trackpad) bothers me.

Noting that they do have a 14-day return policy, if you’re thinking of actually switching.

This may sound like a dumb question, but do you still need a mouse pad for the mouse? (Ha! A mouse house!) I guess it might scar a table using it without a mousepad.

“Need” is a strong word, but yes - vertical mice are the same as horizontal mice in that regard. Same type of sensor, just s different grip.

1 Like