Best Reddit Apps For Non-M1 Macs?

Apologies, but I’m not really following you here. I don’t see that the lack of a Mac Apollo app is a critical issue for Intel Mac users. But I might have misunderstood what you’re saying.

Thanks - I’m very happy to have been corrected.

(Also happy at the thought of Apollo on the Mac)

I just want a Reddit client for Mac that doesn’t look like trash and works well on both Intel and M1 Macs. Preferably SwiftUI and Mac Catalyst…

1 Like

You can install redditOS via homebrew and thus not compile it

Yes, follow the link given by @dustinknopoff, at the right side of the page there is a link to “Releases.” There you can download Curiosity.app.dmg .

[Props to @ybbond, I’m just boiling the info down to a couple of hopefully-easy-to-follow sentences.]

Why would you “prefer” SwiftUI?

3 Likes

Well, why do you care?

It means that the app uses Apple’s official design language.

No. You’re confusing things and this quote does not mean that. I’m currently developing in SwiftUI on the side and I can tell you you can readily do stupid things that don’t look native nor work great. Native ≠ performant ≠ Apple design language ≠ framework ≠ language. These are all different things. OmniFocus is as Apple-y as you can get and there’s not a lot of SwiftUI in it at the moment. (Exactly in one place: the modern widgets.)

If you want the native look, simply say you want the native look. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Other term funny enough to use is (stealing from Brent Simmons) Mac-assed Mac app.

4 Likes

And if the native look is what you’re after, a multi platform GitHub alpha project is unlikely to provide it,

Neither does Yack, for that matter

1 Like

We’re still talking about Curiosity, right? I didn’t notice it was multi-platform (or maybe I’m misunderstanding the term).

My mistake! Apologies - I’ve been looking at several Github project recently (not Reddit-related) and I managed to confuse myself. It is indeed SwiftUI and Mac-only.

Again - apologies.

No worries, I thought I might have missed something. You’re right about the “alpha” thing though - it’s very likely not ready for prime time. Has anyone tried it?

I wanted to be more specific, but okay.

@anon85228692, I would really like to have a conversation with you about SwiftUI, but I think it should be held offline. Are you interested?

1 Like

Offline - you mean in private? Absolutely! DMs are open :slightly_smiling_face: