Best Way to Sell a Mac in US

I’m looking to sell a 2016 MacBook Pro with TouchBar and was looking for advice on where I can sell it. I’d like to get as much as I can for it, within reason.

Can anyone recommend sites to sell it on and help estimating what I should sell it for?

It is the base model of the 2016 MacBook Pro with TouchBar that has 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB SSD.

Thanks!

2 Likes

For determining price I go to eBay and look at the recently sold listings. That gives me a solid range. I usually prefer Craigslist for computers and eBay for phones, tablets, and iPods. I’ve bought 3 Macs on Craigslist and one on eBay. Never a problem.

2 Likes

I recommend Swappa. All payments are through PayPal and the moderation is good. I have bought an iPhone, sold an iPhone, and bought a Mac on the site with good results.

2 Likes

Funny, I just put this topic in the outline for the next MPU+ based on two recent experiences I had. I will tell you I’m a bit down on eBay and the Amazon marketplace recently. I tried to unload some old tech gadgets I no longer need (not computers) and in both cases I ended up having to offer refunds for devices that I know were in perfectly good working condition when I mailed them out because the buyers complained.

One instance I’m pretty sure was fraud, the other I might be able to chalk up to a novice user who just became aggressive. EIther way, between the two incidents I was out about $150 and my time and hassle. It will probably be a long time, if ever, before I sell a tech gadget on eBay or the Amazon marketplace again.

I usually try to sell to a friend or someone in my extended network first. My old Mac Users Group still maintains an email list for this type of thing. Otherwise, though I know you won’t get the most bang for your buck, I will go the trade-in or Gazelle route for the safety/convenience. (Full disclosure - Gazelle is a sponsor of MPU).

2 Likes