Best way to use “Spaces” on Mac

Thank you, I will have a look into both.

1 Like

I manually assign specific apps to specific desktops. I’ve got one space for communication (Mail, Slack, task management, etc). I have one space for all my development work (it houses Codekit, VSCode/Nova, Terminal, and Brave). And I have a third set up for any apps that require visual work (Figma, all the Adobe apps).

Outside of my communications desktop, I run all these other apps in maximized windows (even on my Studio Display). I typically have three files open side by side in my IDE of choice, and I always have a large Developer Panel open in Brave. The others all greatly benefit from running in large windows (try using InDesign on an 11” MacBook Air. It sucks).

I don’t break things up by project per se, but I’ve got it all broken up based on my mode of work. It works for me.

1 Like

On my MX Vertical mouse, I have one key mapped to switch to Space #1, which is dedicated to the Finder. There are two Finder windows to facilitate copying files.

I’ve tried separate spaces for each app but that became too complicated. Non-Finder apps are in Space #2. I do use Hazeover to hide windows from background apps.

1 Like

Hi @snelly; it’s interesting how disparate strategies are applied to meet unique requirements!

In contrast, I never manually assign apps to specific Desktop Spaces even though I often use them in specific spaces. This strategy affords the necessary flexibility I need because I often I want to use these apps in other Desktop Spaces. With the help of Keyboard Maestro, I’ve been able to optimize this approach.

For those that might be interested, check out this thread on the KM forum: Workspaces in Mission Control Desktop Spaces

The content above is best understood after reading this thread: Desktop Spaces • Macros to Improve Navigation and Window Management

1 Like