Better searching in Apple Mail

As I’m processing my email inbox if I decide I am going to archive a message I put it into into a folder in mail on my Mac called Reference using a hot key to sort and file. Once a month I import them all into DEVONThink using the Add to DEVONThink command.

2 Likes

Other ways to get mail into DEVONthink would be drag message(s) from Mail to the DEVONthink icon in the dock, where they will be sent to the location defined in DEVONthink preferences.

Or, use the Mail > Message > Add to DEVONthink 3 command that’s available in Mail by installing the plug-in in DEVONthink’s Install Add-On’s menu.

Or use the imported in DEVONthink itself. When you import mail to a DEVONthink group this way, DEVONthink will skip messages it has already imported.

Once imported into DEVONthink, messages can be converted to other formats (PDF, markdown, RTF, etc.).

2 Likes

I am giving Spark a try. I haven’t yet determined if the search works better, though…

For what it is worth, I’ve gone back and forth with Spark and Apple Mail several times. I prefer Spark but I run into two frustrating problems:

• When trying to select while scrolling on a large email so that I can copy and paste the portion I need to another app., the Spark window does not move up so I can keep selecting text once I get to the bottom of the app screen, whereas this works fine in Apple Mail. I hope that makes sense.
  • When I copy text from some webpages into a Spark email, many times I only get a portion of what I copied whereas Apple Mail will paste everything I copied.

It is these sorts of things that keep sending me back to Apple Mail.

Infoclick (made by the Nisus team) is awesome for this task and not too expensive ($15). I have used it for years. It is to Mail what Houdahspot is to Spotlight. Also worth noting: the developers respond to queries very quickly.

https://nisus.com/InfoClick/

1 Like