Big Sur 11.2.2 prevents damage(!) to MBP 2019+ and MBA 2020+ when using some USB-C hubs/docks

macOS Big Sur 11.2.2 prevents MacBook Pro (2019 or later) and MacBook Air (2020 or later) models from incurring damage when they are connected to certain third-party, non-compliant powered USB-C hubs and docks.

Unfortunately it does not prevent all the weird shit that’s recently happening with ethernet connections via a usb-c/thunderbolt dock. :frowning:

Oh crap I haven’t heard about ethernet hub issues. :flushed:

Nice to see that in the middle of my on-call week where I religiously do not do any updates — to my MacBook Pro that I use with a USB-C dock. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I must say that ethernet is a bit more stable now. Might be that Apple pushed some (firmware/driver) update in the background.

It’s not perfect yet, and sometimes I still loose the connection after the Mac went to sleep. But it’s not as bad as it was with 11.2.1 and just after 11.2.2.

Edit: just after I posted this and went away for a short while from my computer, the ethernet connection was gone again. Unplugging and reconnecting the usb-c cable brought it back to life.

As I said: it’s not perfect yet.