Big Sur hanging

Since upgrading to Big Sur the Notification Center hangs and slows down the whole machine whenever I invoke it (click the clock – stupid action BTW). I have to open Activity Monitor and force-quit the notification center. It seems there is probably a hanging widget; but I don’t know how to get to the controls to turn off widgets without opening the notification – which immediately starts the hang – which has to be force quit – and so on.

Is there a preference or configuration file that controls which widgets appear in the notification center? Something I can delete and remove the current Notification Center configuration?

SOLVED: Safe boot let me get into Notification Center and remove all widgets. Seems to have resolved the hanging.

Not strictly on topic, but since you solved it, I’ll chime in here to completely agree with you about this.

1 Like

I’d rather Click the Clock than have yet another icon in my menu bar.

/dissentingOpinion

It is necessary for every Mac power user to have a cluttered menu bar. That is just life. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Now that I know what to do, it doesn’t bother me as much. Playing, “How the $%&@#! do I get that notification back??” annoyed me enough to still (mildly) curse at the UI designer(s) who came up with it. For a while I thought that it was swiping on the clock and not clicking it that did the trick :laughing:

1 Like