Big Sur Pub Beta is out

I like the new interface. But I needed to go back to Catalina on my MBP 16”… but when I reboot now, the startup chime is still sounding! Is that normal ? Did i not properly erase ? Anyone else move back to Catalina and notice they still hear the startup chime ?

Thanks

In older versions of macOS turning the chime on/off was just a Terminal command away, so you can stop the sound if you want. Instructions in this article to turn the chime on/off in Catalina:

Thanks. I don’t mind it, i was just concerned maybe I didn’t erase/install properly … with these new disk formats i get confused :grinning:

How is everyone finding the new look?
I kind of like it, a bit rough around the edges and maybe not as smooth looking as we are used to from Apple, but I like the way it works.

As someone who’s daily driver is an iPad I sort of like the similarities, and yet there are still enough differences to make the mac unique.

I really did expect to find it hard to adjust to, but I found myself really liking it almost immediately.

The one thing that still doesn’t quite feel right is the Finder icon in the dock and in ⌘+Tab … Finder just looks weird with those rounded corners. I suppose they couldn’t keep just that one square, but I still find it jarring.

OTOH in 5 years I’ll probably see a square-cornered Finder and go “Oh yeah, I forgot it used to have square corners!”

3 Likes

Welp… spent yesterday looking to see if the space issue when updating was common. Found others had it, but no fixes. Anyone here see “not enough space” when trying to upgrade? I have 50GB open on the drive it is going on.

Had the same thing and did not really get it since I had 140GB free.
Deleted some old stuff and went on, though.

1 Like

I had the same issue, turned out to be purgeable space that would not free up.
I enabled time machine, and disabled it again half an hour later, and then removed old snapshots from the terminal. (macworld article on this: https://www.macworld.com/article/3260635/how-to-delete-time-machine-snapshots-on-your-mac.html)

1 Like