BIG Update to Craft!--AGAIN

I spoke too soon- tried to use Craft to take notes during a meeting today and it was clear that it did not use mac spellchecking. I had to do a quick md export and continue in Ulysses.

Ah, but great sins start with a small step …. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just discovered Craft and very impressed. A great feature is calendar integration where you can create notes from your calendar events! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while.

I was looking at Obsidian as a replacement for Roam and stumbled on Craft through MPU. Pretty impressive so far!

PS - I just got access to their web app. This should open it up to non-Apple users nicely!

6 Likes

My students were very impressed that they could access my lesson information through the web interface, it’s a great feature.

4 Likes

Thanks. I have not tried the sharing feature’s yet but they look interesting.

Well I’m gonna try it out a lot more now that it’s free for a year for education users!

1 Like

Just be aware that they will provide that discount for a max of five years.

1 Like

Yah I’m not sure I’m gonna commit but I’m curious to play around a bit more without the restrictions of the free version…

1 Like

Well this was the trigger for me to try Craft and see what all the fuss is about. Pretty impressed so far, but perplexed that I can’t set up a page with 2 or 3 columns or as a table - am I missing something?

Confession - serial note app purchaser here

No you aren’t missing anything. Tables support is “coming soon”. Should be this fall. I haven’t heard any talk about column support. I think the recommended workaround is to create multiple “cards” that you stack next to each other.

Also missing how to get a word count…

Unfortunately, it is a multi-click process:

2 Likes

Craft are teasing a big v2.0 release late this month, and their CEO just gave an interview in which he says they’re going to enable plugins.

A fresh take on documents - the Untold Story of Craft by Untold Stories Podcast (soundcloud.com)

Skip to 57.25 to hear the talk of plugins.

6 Likes

That is interesting and very promising! I’m looking forward to seeing what v2 brings to the table.

The Obsidian community is fun, and there are new things that keep coming up. I am slowly getting used to writing more in it and figuring out ways to use plugins to improve my workflow. Craft is a nice package but I find too much of writing fiction due to it’s block based approach.

2 Likes

So one year on are all Craft users still using it?

Has it replaced Ulysses, Scrivener or Obsidian for anyone?

1 Like

Personally I don’t see Craft as a writing tool, so I can’t see replacing Ulysses with it. I was a heavy DEVONthink user before I started using Craft and Obsidian concurrently in 2021. As it turns out, DEVONthink is a better place for me to park ideas, bits and pieces of knowledge, etc. than Craft or Obsidian for me, although I can see the strength of the linked notes, everything being in Markdown, etc., so I’m currently moving content back to DEVONthink I had been working with in those two PKM apps. Unexpectedly, however, I really like Craft for it’s sharing capabilities (i.e., easily publishing documents to the web), so I am keeping it around primarily for that, surprisingly enough.

1 Like

I still cannot find a practical use case for me, it is certain pretty but lacking plugins (extension). Not the best writing app, not the best note taking app, not the best PKM tool, not the best for storing and searching information, it does a bit of everything but I had hard time trying to use it

2 Likes

For me, yes. My yearly subscription to Craft expires in August, and I almost decided not to renew it. However, I recently found good use for Craft and decided to stick with it for another year.

I’m on Windows at work, so having a web version is essential. This pretty much rules out Ulysses and Obsidian. Apart from cross-platform support, what makes Craft unique to me is its flexibility. I can organize my notes with folders, blocks, pages within pages, etc. It’s a bit like Workflowy on steroids if you enjoy nesting notes and zooming into different levels of them.

Craft also makes it possible to create multiple spaces (repositories), so I can completely separate my work notes from personal notes.

2 Likes

but you can get Obsidian for Windows but may need Obsidian sync or sync to git, which I have not tried