BIG Update to Craft!--AGAIN

This will depend, of course, on one’s note taking needs and preferences but I use Craft exclusively for note taking. I have fairly complex note taking needs and Craft is working beautifully for me. I use Scrivener for all of my writing from blog articles to a book.

I was pretty excited to see 1.3 drop but a little disappointed to see that the files stored locally are all json files. I guess I was imagining Markdown or text files, though in hindsight that wouldn’t make a ton of sense based on how Craft works. The feature is more privacy-centred, I guess, being able to host your data locally. I don’t have anything sensitive in my Craft documents, so I’m not sure whether I’ll store my documents locally or not.

A couple weeks ago I found the thread (or two) I mentioned above which in which you and others mentioned Obsidian. Which became a rabbit hole for me. I spent a couple days. Downloaded Obsidian to my Mac Mini and then 1Writer to my iOS devices and I’m grateful to have found it. For myself, as a new Obsidian user, I’m not jealous at all!

I think Craft looks very interesting. If it were a stand alone purchase I’d likely invest more time to discover if it has a place in my workflow. But I’m already pretty happy with Notes for my basic note-taking. And now with 1Writer/Obsidian, I’m really enjoying a whole new process that came along at a time when I was beginning to think about a new personal project exploring personal history, life events, memories, past interests, etc. So, on a personal note, thanks for that!

4 Likes

I’m not following. What’s your distinction? What “writing” features of Craft do not lend themselves to note taking, or vice versa? Words are words – intent in writing is what makes the difference.

Are you moving all of your notes to external storage now? I don’t know what to do!!

If I understand the new feature correctly, and I may not, I plan to move all Craft notes to an iCloud folder so that nothing is on Craft’s server(s) but on iCloud. I consider that more secure and I’ll still be able to sync across devices. However, I’m going to wait until my new M1 arrives (my MBP 2017 died over the weekend).

1 Like

The new feature makes it simple to keep all notes in local storage, and move a given note to / from Craft’s cloud storage when you want.

Some features do no work with local storage:

• Sharing documents with secret link
  • Document activity report
  • Document backups
  • Commenting on documents (goes along with “no secret link”)

There may be other gaps I haven’t seen. All of these gaps make sense if local storage is used.

2 Likes

Do you happen to know of a good way to export all current folders/notes to the new external storage, in my case iCloud?

I had just tested this. I went to my current Craft space (on their server). Clicked on a folder–>Select “more” on right upper side (ellipsis inside of a circle)–>Select “export”–> Select “textbundles” (I did not try “Markdown)”–> exported to desktop. Then I went to the new space I had created on iCloud Drive and imported. Everything was there. All intact like the original structure. The imported folder contained all of the subfolders and images.

1 Like

Excellent, I’ll give that a try! Thanks! I just put your post in Craft for quick reference. :slight_smile:

Perfect! That works.

Oh no! But what a great excuse and reason to get an M1. Very jealous.

1 Like

@Bmosbacker @anon41602260 Just noticed the when exporting-importing a document with a pdf. Adds a block under the pdf with the name of the file. Don’t know its intended purpose. May be a bigger deal if you were exporting-importing lots of pdfs.

1 Like

That’s interesting: I assume the link is not active? I for one do not attach documents to Craft—I use only links to documents in other programs.

1 Like

I missed this somewhere… how do you link to documents in other programs? So far I’ve only been able to imbed PDF files. Links to other documents would be great.

A dumb question-- but I wasn’t offered a place to export to. Not sure where the export ended up. How did you find it?

Once you select the export format a save dialog box should appear. Then select where you want the files to go.

1 Like

Weird. I did not get the dialogue. I’ll ask the developer. Thanks!!!

Do a spotlight search with the name of the folder that you exported. Will show you where files are exported by default.

@terryportis linking and sharing is one of Craft’s best features. There a multiple ways to create links within Craft, links to share out, and external links to embed—see screen shots. Additionally, any program that can create a shareable link can be embedded in Craft. I use these features constantly. I prefer linking because it keeps the size of a database like Craft much smaller, which I believe minimizes syncing time and issues. For my work flow, I am cross-linking Craft with Things 3 projects/tasks, emails in Apple Mail or Spark, DEVONthink, Google Drive, iCloud, OneDrive, MindNode, Scrivener, and a few others.

I hope this is helpful. If not, let me know.