Black Friday (and beyond!) deals thread!

Notebooks is an excellent multi-platform app syncing thru Dropbox, quickly and efficiently. No proprietary SQL or JSON databasing going on. All documents are visible in plain view in Dropbox. Alfons Schmid has announced Notebooks 2 for Mac will be available by year end.

I bought all the apps a while back and am evaluating it as a cross-platform replacement for the otherwise excellent (but sadly Mac-only) EagleFiler. (I also own Devonthink Pro on the Mac, but I got fed up with it and moved to EagleFiler a couple of years ago, and am not looking to go back if I can help it.) Notebooks is powerful and can read practically any file. If I don’t settle on it for Mac+iOS I’ll take a look at Keep It, but I like the app so far, and I like not paying a subscription for it… and I look forward to seeing what the new version of Notebooks looks like on the Mac.

If anyone’s interested, John Vorhees over at MacStories took a look at the app(s) in 2016:

2 Likes

StackSocial has two new Mac-related software discount deals:

Walmart offers the Canon Pixma MX490 WiFi All-in-One Inkjet Printer, which also scans, copies, and faxes, for $34.

Pad your order over $35 to bag free shipping; otherwise, shipping adds $5.99. (In-store pickup is also available.)

Features include:

• 2.5" LCD screen
  • 8.8 ipm black print speed & 4.4 ipm color print speed
  • 4800x1200 dpi maximum color print resolution
  • 802.11n wireless
  • 20-sheet auto document feeder
  • compatibility with Google Cloud Print and AirPrint

Cloud Outliner Pro for Mac (which can sync with its $2.99 sister iOS app) just dropped from $9.99 to $1.99 through tomorrow (12/5) in the US Mac App Store.

Cloud Outliner Pro; such a beautifully clean, simple outline out that syncs perfectly and, via .opml, can link up with mind mapping apps, for example. Great for following the map>outline>map>outline>write “chewing the cud” process that @macsparky follows in his writing workflow.

I’ve tried mind mapping but I’ve never had a huge need so I never feel comfortable with it. Outlining always seemed more natural to me although I see the benefit of mind maps.

For $2, I’m definitely going to give this a whirl because I think I’ll see the value in it. I know I don’t use outlines as much as I should when I write (mostly short stuff) but I have some longer pieces coming up and this may help.

Thanks.

I’ve also felt more comfortable with the more clinical look of text and outlines. I own both iThoughtsX and MindNode but keep going back to OmniOutliner (which I really don’t love either).

I have the Mac and iOS Cloud Outliner Pro apps. they’re solid and work as advertised but I don’t use them too much because you’re stuck with their single choice of font and their specific regular/dark mode options. I prefer to use other fonts/colors/sizes.

But COP reads/exports .opml files easily and is a nice cross-platform solution. Last time I used it I imported an opml file on my Mac for listing items I was interested in looking at or buying at a trade show, and another list of items I had (so I wouldn’t buy duplicates)… and it synced over easily to my iPhone.

FYI, a free but (even) more bare-bones Mac oultiner on the MAS is OutlineEdit, but it’s not available on any other platforms.

I have looked at OmniOutliner in the past, especially when they came out with the cheaper Essentials package. But at that point, I didn’t see the need to spending that money. I can take a flyer on COP since it’s so cheap. It may have come at a really good time as I said since I have to write some longer form pieces.

When I tried Omnioutliner I got the impression that I don’t really need such an app – why not simply write down several lines in any text editor? But for 2$ I’ll give this one another try!

Right now Amazon has Anker’s 60w USB Type-C Wall Charger for $29.99 - that’s less than for its 49.5w charger, and just $4 more than its 30w charger. It’s an all-time low price for this charger (it was $10 more in May.)

I wonder how well it works when the user gets many 100s of MB or a few GB, stored in it.

Maybe ask the developer? Or trial it yourself?

When I got it for my Mac I simply pointed it towards my 30Gb+ Documents folder and it essentially created one giant QuickLook-powered Finder replacement, I could sift through, lol, without needing to first add a single document into a proprietary database. Here I am a few levels down in my Documents folder (I see I should have put my Wicker Man file in the ‘Horror’ sub-sub-subfolder):

Target has the HomePod for $249.99 ($100 off).

2 Likes

More Anker price drops: in addition to the 60w Type-C charger I mentioned above that dropped to $29.99 on Amazon from $39.99 (a deal that remains ongoing), this morning Amazon dropped the price of the Anker 30w USB-C charger to $17.99, down from $26.99

Huh. I tried to buy the HomePod from Target and get this:

“Sorry, this can’t be shipped to your zip code. We work hard to offer the same selection to all our guests, but some items have shipping restrictions based on zip code.”

It’s also not available in my local store. So… I guess no HomePod for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I saw that message with the white HomePod, but when I switched my selection to Space Gray I was able to order (and it showed the white model as out of stock).

Now it’s showing both colors as out of stock though.

Tried both colors and even tried my Mom’s zip code, but no stock in any of them.

Oh well. I guess I’m not getting a HomePod. $250 was still more than I wanted to spend, and $350 is definitely out of the question.

B&H Photo is currently re-offering a limited supply of the HomePod in both its black or white color options for $249. That’s where I got my $249 HomePod last month. I’ve bought from B&H for three decades, I think. One of the best retailers around. Grab it while you can.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1394582-REG/apple_mqhw2ll_a_homepod_space_gray.html

1 Like