Black Friday (and beyond!) deals thread!

Why do Philips insist you need a bridge if this is the case? A bit confusing, if you ask me.

The Philips Bridge allows you to connect up to 52 items (bulbs for example) to your wifi via a single wifi connection; if there was no Bridge, you would have as many individual wifi connections as you have Hue items, which would hammer your wifi and probably make it unuseable.

1 Like

The ability to control home automation devices is a separate feature from providing a connection between the home automation devices and the rest of your network. Control capabilities tend to be implemented on devices with human interfaces (voice assistants like Alexa or smartphone apps) while connection capabilities are often integrated into devices that are intended to be tucked away next to your router without any interfaces of their own (the only interface on the Hue hub is a pairing button). Occasionally there are devices that can do both, but the two functions are usually separated.

Actually, the 2018 model has 8GB of flash, LED backlight and is waterproof. I don’t know if it has more RAM or a newer / faster processor. I went to the local Amazon store to look at the screen of the new paperwhite. The 2018 model felt a bit sluggish to
Me. You could see too much screen redraw. I’d rather pay $20 more for a faster cpu than double the flash.

Thank you for the heads up about the HomePod at Best Buy. I had to go to two stores to get the space grey one, but I can’t believe I got it for $250.

This is the first time I’ve ever been to a brick and mortar Black Friday sale. (The low end 21’ iMac at the Culver City Best Buy was open box and selling for $750. I don’t need one but almost bought it anyway.)

Still waiting for iStat Mini to get Mojave dark mode support.

VMWare Fusion 11 with a 35% discount.

On sale!

3 Likes

(Saved you a Click: Curio is now 30% off, meaning $42-$98 depending on the version.)

1 Like

Hulu just announced a Black Friday deal for new subscribers and eligible returning subscribers (who have not been Hulu subscribers in the past 12 months) - 99¢/month for 12 months (normally $7.99/month, and plan rolls over to that price in 12 months if you don’t stop it) for their Limited Commercials plan. Deal ends 11:59 PM PST on 11/26/18.

BestBuy is offering $50 iTunes gift cards for $40. (No deals at other gift card price levels.)

iPad Pro deals at bhphotovideo.com - $40-$100 off:

11" 64 GB wifi only $759 ($40 off)
11" 256 GB wifi only $899 ($50 off)
11’’ 64 GB wifi + LTE $899 ($50 off)
11" 256 GB wifi +LTE $1000 ($100 off)
Also $50 off on select 12.9-inch models

B&H normally offers free shipping and doesn’t charge tax outside NY/NJ.

Luna display is offering 20% off and free shipping

The Xojo integrated development environment (IDE) for Mac, Windows, Linux, etc., is offering 20% off all licenses, including annual subscription renewals for existing accounts.

Note that B&H will be closed this afternoon (11/23) thru Saturday, including on-line sales.

Curio should be bundled with all Macs. It is essential.

2 Likes

For me it also accepted the discount code from this week’s MPU as well (details here).

https://twitter.com/LunaDisplayHQ/status/1065936395401916416

1 Like

Same for me, and I got it with free shipping, that is almost 40% off.

Available without educational email address:

Black Friday, in addition to educational discount (email address from educational institute required):
https://www.studentappcentre.com

There are 25 apps with Black Friday discounts. A few highlights:

I haven’t read the book yet but “Cognitive Productivity with macOS” is ~55% off ($8.79 instead of $18.49 at LeanPub

https://leanpub.com/cognitive-productivity-macos/c/BlackFriday2018