Calendar woes. yet again

I had not really looked at running the calDAV server on my MacMIni, I think among those options in that article I can find a solution. My Mini is running almost all the time and in any case I can work with it if it’s the server. I am more likely to be able to get a mac based calDAV server running faster than I can update and get it running on our very old Synology server.

That’s fine if you live where there is always on internet access but I don’t. Cloud for critical data like what my schedule is cannot be depended upon. I spent 9 hours driving (4.5 hours each way) to spend 7 hours working on a ranch testing rams. I needed my calendar as we had to schedule the follow-ups once the labwork gets back. During that VERY long day I had internet access for about 3 hours total. That’s by my AnimalTrakker system operated totally independently of the cloud in any fashion. It’s not available where I have to operate.

Here’s 2 concrete reasons. I put on my calendar meetings with customers where it’s important not to “cross the streams” as it were. I don’t want that info getting out to other folks. Secondly, there have been cases where through inadvertant mistakes or deliberate phishing data on when individuals are gone or at doctors etc havemade their way to criminals who then used that info to stage a major break-in that involved stealing cars and massive amoutns of stuff from the unguarded house. This happened to a neighbor. I also do not want my medical data/schedule etc to get out. It’s private. And no, My medical doctors do not use on-line systems either. At least not any exposed to the world.

As to email. I am not running an email server. But I do use POP mail so that the mail lives only on the server until I fetch it. The reasonis partly security but as you point out muchof the mail is potentially not secure anyway. The larger reason is that it forces me to focus and work productively with email. If I can only do it on one machine I am not constantly dealing with interruptions. My own personal focus mode if you will. I have also lost email that was left on supposedly accesible servers that I needed later and I have a large enough backlog of important emails that I refer to often that I do not want to spend the $ to have them on on-line storage.

2 totally different use cases and sets of reasons for avoiding cloud services for those functions.

I can’t carry a paper diary with me all the time, see references to belt pouches and farm work.

2 Likes

You seem to be an avid Obsidian user. Is there a possibility of building a calendar solution in Obsidian using the Dataview plugin plus daily notes and the calendar plugin? You can use Obsidian’s encrypted sync so that your data is safe.

How do you solve that via cable sync? Are you carrying your computer and your phone to “the field” and sync them via cable there? I mean, if you miss the capability of syncing via cable, you only need cloud sync where you had the cable. Then you can go out and about in “offline mode” and sync after you arrive at your office. But perhaps I’m missing something else of your setup.

(Other points regarding security concerns are valid, though).

My apologies. My comment was more about your “world has moved to cloud services” comment not specifically about the calendar issue. Everyone has not and cannot move to the cloud. Heck, my local electric coop is sending people to help bring regular wired electricity to people in the Navajo reservation. Many, many places do not even have wired electricity. It’s ignoring many people to say that everyone is moving to the cloud.

Actually I DO take computers to the field, many of them, frequently. Yesterday we were working on a ranch site and had 4 laptop computers, 5 Android tablets, 3 small portable battery powered printers, 5 EID readers and a plethora of cables not to mention the 9 smartphones, (all w/o service BTW) along with inverters to power them from the vehicles if required but that is unrelated to using a calendar on my phone and iPad.

Correct and that is how I want to work. But I want my sync at the my house to be via cable not cloud.

My office yesterday was dealing with gentlemen like this. Note the background. It was a 4.5 hour drive from our house to this location, one way.

1 Like