Can Apple refuse an (advertised!) battery replacement because the battery is too good? (In the EU)

That’s always difficult, it depends on whether you measured your 5/6 hours under the same conditions as the “advertised” time. So not sure that can be taken as “measurement” of product status

As far as I am aware there is no right to replace batteries in the EU, which is about to change as the new Battery Directive that will come into force in 2023 (with local implementation date pending, probably 2025) will probably require user replaceable batteries. (which should benefit everyone, not just EU citizens)

Except for the fact it will make devices larger, heavier and require more parts.
I’m not convinced it’s a step forward.
I take the fact you’ll be able to buy a replacement battery off the shelf and fit it, but will a quality part be cheaper than getting Apple to do it now? I doubt it. Will you be able to get cheaper options? Undoubtably, will the quality be as good? Not always.

Am I the only one who remembers back to a time when someone would drop their phone and it would come apart with phone, battery, and battery cover flying in all different directions?

6 Likes

I’ve replaced both SSDs and batteries in my own and friends’ macs (on older models) and it was both less expensive and, as far as I can tell, as good quality.

I just replaced the SSD on my MBA and the replacement is faster than the original (as you might expect).

I know Apple’s obsession with sealed units has a point to it (although replacing an entire device because the battery is end of life took it to an extreme).

1 Like

A battery is a completely different proposition to an SSD. An SSD won’t cause physical damage (chemicals, explosions, fire) if mistreated.

I’m actually not sure I want everything smaller and lighter. I’m perfectly happy with something a bit bulkier and heavier as long as I can bring it to any repair facility for repairs.

I think the e-waste we are creating with some of our devices is shocking, and we might want to put up with a step back if it means smaller landfills with device remnants.

The battery proposals in the EU are mainly to do with making sure devices last longer by making it easier to repair/replace the bits that age quickly (batteries)
With Apple’s “lets glue everything in” strategy this is just not possible.

So is it less than 100% ideal: yes
Do I hope it makes it through the debates in parliament: yes! Absolutely!!

1 Like

That is a dangerous misunderstanding!
Of course a SSD could catch fire, and burn down. It is even a rather often seen failure, if someone for example is not taking care of inserting the SSD fully into the slot, or if the SSD gets damaged for some reason or the other.
BTW, there is a risk of fire from almost ANY “active” electronic part… :fire: :fire_extinguisher:

Interesting. I had exactly the same model of iPad and was using it as my only computer. After three years I noticed that the battery suddenly drained quickly after only a few hours of use. So I took it to the store and they tested it and said the same thing. ‘Sorry but it’s not below 80% so we can’t replace it.’

I explained that I used it all the time and couldn’t do my work on it and was a business customer. The genius went back and forth to his manager and in the end he said, ‘Look we can’t replace the battery for you but because you are a business customer and bought it at this store we are willing to give you a new iPad. Would that be OK?’ I said that would be fine and got a reconditioned iPad for free. Still using it three years later.

Really sorry you didn’t get the same service. The excellent service I got is one of the reasons I’ve gone all in on Apple.

3 Likes

While acknowledging this, I would think that there would be some regulation that would bear upon this.

Let’s say that:

• A tire shop advertises tires for $100 each
  • I walk in, plunk down $400 + taxes on the counter, and say “4 tires please”
  • The tire shop says that I do not, in fact, need tires - so they won’t sell them to me
  • I indicate that I’m very unhappy with my tires, and would like to buy new ones
  • The tire shop offers to sell me a set of the new tires I want, but they’re currently attached to a brand new set of axles - so it’ll be $2000 instead of $400

It surprises me that there wouldn’t be something illegal/questionable in there. They’re not refusing to sell anything at all to OP - that I could see. They’re refusing to sell him a particular advertised product at the advertised price, but offering to sell him something much more expensive instead. That feels like it borders on “bait & switch”.

I agree that he should find a third-party repair service. It just surprises me that the EU, which is reputationally very consumer-friendly, wouldn’t have regulations at all that would cover this situation.

It is the same situation in Europe, like in most parts of the US.
Everybody is in general free to contract with whoever he/she/it wants. And this includes also the content of the contracts.
Also, with a few exemptions, a business in Germany for example is almost never offering something to their customer in the public, instead they are showing their products, and are inviting the customer to make an offer for those thinks. (invitatio ad offerendum)
Of course this is in most cases the “offer” for the price that sticks on the product, but in general everybody is free to walk into, lets say an Apple store, and offer the Manager to buy the MacStudio for 499,-. If the Manager agrees with that, you have a contract.
The reason for that kind of construct is, that an offer you make is binding, unless it is denied by the other side.
So if a business would make an public offer, lets say in an Newspaper, it would be obliged to sell the product to everybody who wants it, no matter if the product is still in stock, or has the right pricetag attached. To prevent businesses from that, they are in general not making any offers to the public, but it is like I described above.

And of course, there are laws that prohibit false advertisements and a kind of a “Bait-Think”, but this is also within sharp borders, and not applicable onto a case like the above one.
That maybe would be applicable, if the get them into the store with an offer for the replacement of the battery for 199,- and then telling him, that the replacement of the battery would today for him cost 299,-.
But the buy of a “new” iPad, is something different.

The only way to achieve a car’s advertised MPG is to drive a loooooooong downhill route. :rofl:

The testing of those things is massively flawed in the real world, but allows a comparison between different models and manufacturers.

1 Like

In the UK, there is no legal requirement to sell something you put on a shelf and offer at a price, a contract is only formed when an offer to purchase is made and that offer is accepted.

However if you advertise (TV, Newspaper, website) and provide misleading information, you can be fined under consumer law. But if you mistakenly advertise iPhones for £5 each, there is no requirement to honour that.

Mispricing rarely gets punished.

2 Likes

They can choose not install the tires on your car no matter how much you want to pay them. You’re free to buy the tires and install them yourself.

Just like you’re free to go buy a battery and install it yourself.