Can I use Hazel to sort my downloads on my Synology NAS, if the volumes are mounted?

Hey Mac Power Users,

I tried Hazel some time ago and the only use case that actually was useful to me was the “sort bills” workflow by checking the document for customer account numbers.

However I use my Synology NAS and especially its download app. I was wondering whether Hazel will work reliably even with larger file sizes over the network, if the volumes are mounted properly?

And can hazel also work with files via (S)FTP to remote servers?
That would be very handy some server maintenance I need to do.

Thanks a lot in advance :slight_smile:

I don’t know about SFTP, but I currently have Hazel shunt off some of my files into a Synology NAS.

They aren’t huge files, so I’m not sure what would happen if connection was to die halfway through transfer. However I do know that if my NAS wasn’t connected when Hazel wants to move the file, it’ll just give an error popup and attempt again later (when next it runs the rule).

1 Like

Thanks! Then I’ll give it a try :slight_smile:

I use Hazel and Synology but not as smooth.

In my Downloads folder, I have folders called
Audio
Disk Images
Documents
Images
PDFs

Hazel sorts any downloads into the appropriate folder. After that, I have another folder called “Ready for Synology”. Once everything is sorted and after I have deleted the unnecessary stuff, everything get moved to the “Ready for Synology” folder and then I have an Omnifocus task as part of my weekly review, to see what needs to get moved to my NAS. I do this part manually because many of my files can be large projects at times, so I worry about anything get dropped.

Ah so the Downloads folder is the local one on your Mac?

I guess I should have been more clear about the Downloads folder that I was referring to. It was the one on my Synology NAS, where the Downloader app stores its downloads.