Carrier unlock - UPDATE - solution found and lesson learned

I’m glad you ultimately got this mess sorted out!

It reminded me of AT&T’s move to lock SIM cards when Apple first announced the “Apple SIM” (one of the early eSIMs). I bought an unlocked iPad directly from Apple. But the moment I activated cellular data on AT&T on that iPad, the SIM was locked to AT&T and couldn’t be used anywhere else. So much for a “universal” SIM!

At the time, I had no choice as AT&T was the only reliable option in this area. I think this predatory practice didn’t last, but I haven’t confirmed that.

1 Like

Thanks for providing another data point in the wretched carrier lock matter. In my opinion, carriers are throwing customers under the bus to protect their dodgy business model.

Meanwhile … I switched my family plan to Consumer Cellular. CC now uses AT&T towers. My experience over the last week is quite positive - excellent cellular service in my home and everywhere I have traveled - at 1/3 the cost. In the past MVNOs provided meager data allowances. Today Consumer Cellular allows unlimited data and does not throttle data until a threshold of 50 GB is reached. This is even better than my prior expensive AT&T plan. Plus, CC provides good customer service - easy to reach a knowledgeable rep on the phone. And after switching to the new carrier I confirmed that both of my family’s phones are unlocked. :grinning: