Catalina ... is it time to install yet?

I’m holding out until I have a reason to upgrade. None of the new features on Catalina seem compelling and everything is working fine on Mojave.

I may upgrade on a “what the heck why not?” day. But today is not that day.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting this question. I felt like I was slacking since I haven’t upgraded yet. Made me feel like I had procrastinator’s support. Myself, I’ve been waiting to use this opportunity to clear out some 32bit cruft. Just ran Go64 (as recommended on an MPU show months back) and I really only have a few things on my macbook pro. My Mini is another story – thinking it would be a good opportunity to nuke and pave. Cheers.

2 Likes

Maybe next fall when they release the next OS. I always try to stay one release behind. I have two older machines that can not be upgraded and my main system is working just fine. There is nothing compelling in Catalina although the photo of the Island is very nice.

Upgraded on release day and just had some minor hickups that i dealt with in minutes. Everything running smooth for months now.

I updated over Christmas as I usually do - main reason for waiting was not want to deal with the down time - normally if my work macbook pro is open, I’m working on it, and my personal iMac is also my plex server so one way or the other is in almost constant use when I’m at home.

It also gives me some time to work out any workflow changes - this year I’ve had to have a slight rethink on media management given that they killed their universal media manager and introduced silo’d apps.

Any issues with using Catalina one one machine and HS another? Particularly wrt iTunes / Music sync?

I held off until mid-December. I had no issues but with that said, I’m not sure I am much better off than I was in Mojave. This wasn’t a terribly exciting upgrade in my opinion.

1 Like

I’m sticking with Mojave for the time being… I’ve heard too many stories like yours. Sorry to say this but…Steve Jobs would NEVER have allowed such a “buggy” operating system to be sent out. Maybe more time could be spent on our systems rather than the movie or car industry… :pensive:

Except for all those times he did…

3 Likes

Every era has their fun times. I remember that there was an early version of some release(Leopard or Snow Leopard I think) that would erase external hard drives :grimacing:.

1 Like

What bugs? I keep hearing about them, but I haven’t seen them. Can you elaborate?

1 Like

I’m going in. If I never post on MPU again, you’ll know what happened. Tell my dog I love her.

5 Likes

I’ve survived the upgrade from Mojave to Catalina 10.15.3. Overall an okay experience so far on my cherished 15" MacBook Pro (2015).

The security prompts weren’t too bad, probably because I was expecting them—at least one from every app I’ve opened so far. I imagine I’ll get angry when I’m in a rush and open a half-dozen underused apps.

The install only complained about two apps’ compatibility—RescueTime (which surprised me) and some Logitech tool (of which I cannot even remember what it does). The number of apps I have installed is…

…Well, that’s sad. I just tried to open CleanMyMac 3 to look at the app list and was told the app won’t work in Catalina, according to MacPaw. “Please upgrade for $, etc.” I guess I was supposed to check every app’s website manually to see if the developer will let me open it on the new OS? :expressionless:

Anyway, that’s three incompatible apps out of about 200 apps. Hopefully not too many others pull that trick.

Last report I’ll provide: I upgraded to get access to a few Catalina-only apps, like Twitter and PDF Viewer. Happy with those! Twitter’s keyboard shortcut support is better than I thought it’d be, too.

2 Likes

:rofl: - I hope the install went well, so that I don’t have to console your doggy.

1 Like
1 Like

Was it by any chance the Harmony Remote app? Cuz the 64-bit version has finally been released.

No Harmony for me. It was some kind of extra software—Logitech Kext.

I finally got my backups in order and thought the Sidecar feature is convincing enough to upgrade (yay, saving some :dollar: I would have spent for a second monitor). That said, I was wondering once I downloaded everything for the third time - somehow I’m stuck in a download loop…

Wondering now, after reading some daunting posts if I should avoid the hassle altogether and just buy Luna Display.

So, any updates from the brave people that already updated: is it worth it, or should I consider the preference pane not succeeding a sign?

I don’t have that many legacy apps, but with what I keep hearing about this release, I’ll probably upgrade to Catastropha the day I buy a Mac Pro and it comes preinstalled on it, prompting me to upgrade my laptop…

“Catastropha”!? I’m crying! :rofl:

1 Like