Chamberlain (MyQ) API

I am so upset by Chamberlain who abruptly shut down their public API last week.

I have two Liftmaster garage door openers. I have them integrated into HomeKit via Homebridge. I have an Aqara button next to my front door - 1 press opens one garage door, 2 press opens the other, long press closes both. I also have "Hey Siri open Prius (or Subaru). Been working great for a long time.

All of a sudden it stopped working a couple of weeks ago because Chamberlain decided to close down their public API. Why? Because they want you to use their app – because you have to see an ad before you open or close your garage.

This has me really peeved.

4 Likes

I’m really getting sick of ads everywhere, and I mean everywhere! For example, I get extremely frustrated when reading a news story when ads are sprinkled throughout the article. It is a journalistic abomination.

8 Likes

I agree. But I am a little more tolerant when reading a newspaper or magazine that I am not otherwise paying for.

But I paid for my two $400 garage door openers. Enough!

1 Like

They’re a very customer hostile company in this way. A few years ago they broke their API so that it could no longer be used with Shortcuts on my phone and now they’ve killed the public API completely.

2 Likes

So do I, but those inconsiderate reporters still insist on getting paid. I don’t have a solution for bad advertisements.

I’d be willing to pay for Apple News+ if it were ad free, but they don’t get to double dip. How about “Apple News minus”? . Dump the magazines, which I never read, and sell me ad free news?

2 Likes

Ugh! That’s a bummer. Especially forcing ads on a paid product.

In case this helps, I use a Refoss “Smart Garage Door Opener Remote” that allows me to control my Chamberlain via HomeBridge.

1 Like

I agree completely, however, the ads I’m referring to are those embedded in Apple News articles, and I am in Apple One subscriber. I shouldn’t also have to see ads when I’m paying for my news. That is what frustrates me more than anything. As someone said, double dipping.

Thank you. I knew there were some devices out there that simply replaced the “button” in the garage but I hadn’t started looking at them yet. I hate paying another bundle of dollars for the door but this solution can’t be stomped on by Chamberlain so maybe it is worth it.

2 Likes

It’s only a matter of time until a competitor comes out that supports HomeKit. It sucks right now, but I expect companies to jump in and take that low-hanging fruit now

2 Likes

Actually, I use the Meross opener for my garage and driveway gate. Easy install and have had zero issues with it.

4 Likes

This might be of help to you. The second solution in the video uses a Meross device which looks like it should work in HomeKit.

4 Likes

Yes, Meross works with Homekit. I’ve had it working for the past 6 months. It’s been flawless. Integrated into Homekit, apps for ipad, iphone, and Apple watch. All the bases are covered.

1 Like

I had it working with HomeBridge until this. So frustrating. But I ordered the Meross thing and installed it last weekend. Works great so far. I got the single, but they also have one that supports multiple doors.

Cool! Can you post a link to exact ly which meross device? I see a couple if them. Thanks.

This is the one I got.

The other options include the one that supports multiple doors. Just make sure you get one of the versions with “HK” in the name for HomeKit.

3 Likes

FYI, Refoss and Meross products are identical in my experience. So I buy them on price.

Thank you! Thank you. Thank you.

This looks like a very nice solution.

Question. Does this disable the button that is currently on the wall in garage to open and close the door – or does that keep working.

You can still use the wall button. I twisted the wires together and inserted them back into the contacts on the opener.

2 Likes

How about using a Switchbot to punch the garage door opener button?

1 Like