ChatGPT is just awesome

I asked for an essay about the 1926 World Series and got ten paragraphs in which it told me the Yankees won. It happened three times in a row. But the Cardinals won the World Series that year in seven games.

The essay even included the fact that it was a best-of-7 series and Cardinals pitcher Grover Cleveland Alexander got a save in Game 7, but it still managed to think the Yankees were the winners. So it’s a lot like ESPN in that way.

4 Likes

All well and good, but the REAL need for AI is in sign-up/log-in processes. Still fighting my way through it.

Edit: It’s actually proving impossible to log in. I got through sign-up and confirmed my email address, but logging in simply returns me to the login page. Brilliant. Tried in Safari and Firefox.

3 Likes

Or precision.

For example, I just read @JohnAtl’s “war of 1812” essay and was baffled as to why the United States was suddenly in this war. Because for many Europeans “the war of 1812” is in fact Russia’s successful defence against Napoleon in the Napoleonic wars, which is one of the deadliest military campaigns in human history and still a significant part of European cultural history. I didn’t even know there was an American war waging at the same time until just now.

1 Like

What happens if you ask who won the 2026 World Series?

Still the Yankees! With some hedging.

1 Like

This is an interesting read.

1 Like

Marx’s concept of commodity fetishism is focused on the way that value is created and assigned in a capitalist economy. In this context, AI (artificial intelligence) could be considered a fetishized commodity in the sense that it is a product of human labor that is often seen as having inherent value, rather than being seen as the product of human labor.

In many cases, the value of AI is determined by the amount of labor and resources that go into producing it, and this value is often obscured or hidden from view. For example, the value of AI is often determined by the amount of data that is used to train it, the amount of computing power that is required to run it, and the amount of expertise and knowledge that goes into developing it. However, these factors are often not visible to the consumer, who may simply see AI as a valuable and useful tool without considering the labor and resources that went into producing it.

In this sense, AI could be considered a fetishized commodity, in that its value is determined by the labor and resources that go into producing it, but this value is often not recognized or appreciated by the consumer. However, it is important to note that this is just one possible interpretation of Marx’s concept of commodity fetishism, and there may be other ways of understanding and applying this concept to the production and consumption of AI.

2 Likes

I’m wanting to try ‭ChatGPT but to signup I have to give my mobile number for a text. I tried my Google Voice number but it is not acceptable. Anyway around this? I don’t want to give my cell number on a website. I guard it carefully.

There are similar tools that you can get access to by paying with money, instead of paying with your contact info. :man_shrugging:t2:

I presume you are referring to Google Voice. No worries, it is setup with a “non-used” gmail account and I only use GV for things like websites and businesses insisting on a phone number. Basically, GV is a “junk” phone number used much like I use Hide My Email. I’m very stingy with my information, one of many reasons I don’t do social media. :slightly_smiling_face:

I really meant that you’re getting access to ChatGPT free of charge. If you aren’t paying for a product, then you are the product (thus, I assume, the need for your cell number).

1 Like

Indeed. Well, looks like this is a “free” service I’ll not try. :slightly_smiling_face:

I played with it a bit this evening. For some of the prompts I fed it, it was frighteningly good. Students couldn’t just take what it turned out and submit that as their essay, but it did a good job of idea generation.

For other prompts, it was clear that its knowledge base has limits. For instance:

Prompt: Write an essay exploring the theme of rectangles in Chaim Potok’s In the Beginning.

Beginning of the response:
In Chaim Potok’s In the Beginning, the theme of rectangles is central to the novel. The main character, Danny Saunders, is a young Hasidic Jew who is struggling to reconcile his religious beliefs with his passion for science.

Nice try, AI, but you’ve got the wrong novel.

1 Like

For ChatGPT to be a true AI wouldn’t it have to be self-aware enough to be chagrined if it was told that it was wrong? Seems very mechanistic still, an imitation of intelligence without any real intelligence.

1 Like

Well, after all, there are (currently) no Artificial Intelligences out there.
All of those systems called “A.I.” at this time, are only some (partly clever) programmed kinds of software, that acts only in its programmed way of behavior.
Just because something is named in a special kind of way, it does not mean that it is also reacting in that way!

2 Likes

I’m reacting to how excited some people seem to this particular “Artificial Intelligence.” Of course it’s not real. Not yet. :slightly_smiling_face:

In other words, digital “intelligence” without a soul.

Even not that.
Those systems are just working algorithm, like Word, Excel oder Apple Mail or the Autopilot of my Airbus.
Not more, not less…

I’m afraid that soul will not be a requirement for artificial intelligence. But simply producing a writing specimen that seems like it could have been written by a human is not enough either. We’re still very much at first steps where the seeming is more important than the reality.

1 Like

Indeed, which is why I used quotes around it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like